What's new

how to slave a surface pro to a desktop like a cintique?

OP
A

adecoy95

Screen mirroring should be exactly like that (you'll see the exact same on surface/Desktop Monitor though). Just gotta connect your Surface Pro via the mini-displayport.

alright, cool, i cant spring for the adapter at the moment, is there any software out there you recommend that i might be able to use for a wireless connection?

Codevine

Sorry, don't really know any wireless alternative. To be honest I think it might have some lag if you connect it wireless, don't have any experience though.

J515OP

Super Moderator
it dosent look like that setup applies to the stylus

here is an image i found that might help better explain what im trying to do

http://www.schrein06.abk-stuttgart.de/aaa.jpg

thanks for all the help sofar tho im still looking into all the softwares and stuff linked, nothing seems to be quite what im looking for tho

Yes, it isn't clear if pen and touch input translates across devices or if it is mouse and keyboard only. Just a possible option. This topic has been covered before here http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...urface-second-screen-draw-pad-another-pc.html and maybe another thread.

It is understood what you would like to do and the simple answer is no. You can't make the Surface a slave input device for another computer. Screen mirroring only allows you to send the video output to a monitor. If all you want is an external display that is possible as mentioned. If you have some super powerful desktop you want to run heavy duty programs on and only use the Surface as a drawing pad for everything running on that other computer it won't work. You also can't use the Surface as an additional monitor for things running on another computer by just hooking up the monitor out of the other PC to the Surface.

As far as wireless display options you can you screen casting such as WIDI/Miracast or some other device which you can look into here http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-help/4616-screen-mirroring-surface.html.

Perhaps the closest solution to what you are trying to accomplish is RDP (remote desktop) which can be accomplished wirelessly. This can be done natively, with a first party RDP app or a third party RDP app. If the host computer is running a compatible version of Windows you can login to that computer and control it from your Surface. This will allow you to run heavy duty processing on the host computer itself but view what you are doing on the Surface. The drawback is you will not be able to see or output the screen from the host PC itself. You would need to use mirroring from a connection with the Surface to get the image on an additional monitor (either via a cable or the wireless options above).

So you would have:

Host PC running the software natively > Surface controlling the host pc via wifi with touch/pen/mouse/keyboard input on the Surface > Surface hooked to secondary monitor

Codevine

You can't make the Surface a slave input device for another computer. Screen mirroring only allows you to send the video output to a monitor. If all you want is an external display that is possible as mentioned. If you have some super powerful desktop you want to run heavy duty programs on and only use the Surface as a drawing pad for everything running on that other computer it won't work
Yeah, if this is what adecoy95 wants, it's not going to work. Thought all he wants is being able to draw on the Surface, but also use an external monitor.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Yeah, if this is what adecoy95 wants, it's not going to work. Thought all he wants is being able to draw on the Surface, but also use an external monitor.

I wasn't so sure so I thought I'd go all out on the various options :) If you look at the link he actually has "Image in Photoshop" on the laptop and "Painting area on tablet pc" on the tablet.

OP
A

adecoy95

hey i just wanted to mention thanks for mentioning suggestions when i made this thread, i kinda lost track of this forum for a bit, but i still have not found any solutions to what i am wanting to do, but i will continue to keep an eye out for any new solutions that might arise in the future, if i ever do find a solution ill post it back here ;)