What's new

How would you guys rate the onscreen keyboard compared to the type cover?

kiwigirl

Out of 10 for efficiency. Which do you prefer and use more? Anyone here use the type cover all the time even in bed?

sdreamer

I only use the type cover when I'm at work or away. I'd imagine it carries tons of stuff because of the felt material it uses. The onscreen keyboard works well enough, especially when the Surface Pro 3 is larger than the previous and the kickstand angle can be put in a much more comfortable angle. I'd probably give it an 8/10 for efficiency when compared to a 10/10 for the keyboard in regards to just typing alone.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The cover is much more efficient and for major typing use the cover, for casual typing the OSK is fine....

OP
K

kiwigirl

I wish there was a skin for the on screen keyboard to map the layout like ipads.

Im getting better on SP3 (at first i found it terrible due to odd spots for certain keys and off centre keys), but if i could go to an ipad layout id do it in a heartbeat. Ipads have arguably the best on screen keyboards today.

Type Cover 6/10. It's passable, not as good as a real keyboard. Too bouncy and flimsy feeling when magnetized.

Power Cover 7.5/10. It's better, with more throw on the keys, and just a sturdier, more robust typing experience.

Onscreen Keyboard 1/10. I use it if I have to, if I'm just watching a movie or whatever and want the tablet experience. I would never type more than a sentence with it though as it's horribly inefficient comparatively to the type cover options.

nipponham

Type cover is obviously easier and more efficient to type with, (when it works!), but the soft keyboard is not so bad and I would give it a 7/10. The predictive dictionary is much better than I had imagined. I just with there was a swype-like 3rd party keyboard that actually works. (I tried TouchPal but the swyping featured did not work.)

Nuspieds

I have absolutely no issues with the on-screen keyboard; it serves its purpose when I am not using the Type Cover.

I use the Type Cover when I have significant typing to do; otherwise, I will use the on-screen keyboard.

silkrooster

The screen keyboard is OK, at least for light duty typing. It would help, if you could feel the keys and the board was movable and scalable. It can get in the way, or better yet let the window fit to the top of the keyboard, so you can access the bottom of the window while typing.
The cover works much better, but it does take up space, which most of the time is not an issue.
In either case, it is still way better than the small tablets and phones.