What's new

How would you guys rate the onscreen keyboard compared to the type cover?

OP
K

kiwigirl

I find there is zero key travel with the OSK, the keys are hard and sometimes my fingers get a little sore after a long day. :D

My issue with the OSK is the the placement of some of the keys (theyre in really awkward positions) and the entire keyboard isnt even centred, its off centred a bit of the left. WTF is up with that MS? The keyboard is just beyond garbage on SP3. Used to have a Dell Venue 8 2 years ago and it had the exact same keyboard.

I would love to use my type cover all the time but it feels really awkward using a laptop in bed.

Its been almost a month now since I got my SP3 and been trying to get used to the OSK, its trash. I cant take it anymore. I dont know what to do because I still love using it as a tablet but typing on it is trash. I wont type any more than one sentence on it (like others have said too).

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My issue with the OSK is the the placement of some of the keys (theyre in really awkward positions) and the entire keyboard isnt even centred, its off centred a bit of the left. WTF is up with that MS? The keyboard is just beyond garbage on SP3. Used to have a Dell Venue 8 2 years ago and it had the exact same keyboard.

I would love to use my type cover all the time but it feels really awkward using a laptop in bed.

Its been almost a month now since I got my SP3 and been trying to get used to the OSK, its trash. I cant take it anymore. I dont know what to do because I still love using it as a tablet but typing on it is trash. I wont type any more than one sentence on it (like others have said too).
That doesn't sound right, your OSK is shifted to the left? Have you done something to the Intel Video Driver or changed some other Screen settings? My keyboard is dead center. Also since your use case is operating while prone, have you tried using the Thumb Keyboard layout?

upload_2014-11-20_7-55-20.png

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think I need a screen shot to picture this ... and identification of the offending keys.
Maybe a UdefineIT keyboard... with drag and drop keys would work, just need someone to write it. :)

OP
K

kiwigirl

That doesn't sound right, your OSK is shifted to the left? Have you done something to the Intel Video Driver or changed some other Screen settings? My keyboard is dead center. Also since your use case is operating while prone, have you tried using the Thumb Keyboard layout?

View attachment 4537

I used the split board when I had an ipad air but the SP3 is too big I find. Its not like typing on it while holding the device in the air with split board is ideal. Ill take another look when I get home but my letter keys are not in the centre of the screen.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I used the split board when I had an ipad air but the SP3 is too big I find. Its not like typing on it while holding the device in the air with split board is ideal. Ill take another look when I get home but my letter keys are not in the centre of the screen.
In the desktop, when floating it can be moved around the screen, could that be the issue? I use thumb keys with the kickstand open...

lhauser

The Type Cover is pretty good...not as good as a regular laptop keyboard, but definitely usable (and the SP3 is the only computer I use outside of work anymore). The standard OSK is OK, maybe a 5/10. Hard to type very much on, I have a hard time hitting the spacebar instead of a "b" or "n", and having to go to alternate screens for too many symbols is hard. If I'm in tablet mode, I sometimes find handwriting better than the OSK. I'm surprisingly happy with HWR on the Surface.

Though I used spit keyboards all the time on my former Android tablet, I used a very customizable keyboard app, and I find the SP3's split mode inflexible, and the device a little heavy to see any advantage to using it. I think split keyboards are great, just not in this case.

Snickers

Depends on what the scenario is..

Type Cover - probably a 7/10 compared to MacBook Pro (other computer) but about 14/10 compared to the iPad Bluetooth keyboard cases I have used.

OSK - for casual bits an 8/10 as I like the different styles and prefer the full traditional layout option, it's not for Word bashing, but fine for other stuff. Yes the iPad keyboard is a bit better - but see above re physical options.. Type Cover is just so well integrated.

Jackpetrilli

The screen keyboard is OK, at least for light duty typing. It would help, if you could feel the keys and the board was movable and scalable. It can get in the way, or better yet let the window fit to the top of the keyboard, so you can access the bottom of the window while typing.
The cover works much better, but it does take up space, which most of the time is not an issue.
In either case, it is still way better than the small tablets and phones.

I've switched the OSK to the standard ms keyboard. In this mode, you can move the keyboard out of the way when it obstructs the input box. Just move it like you would any window.

On the other issue, I find it easier to type in the type cover because I'm a touch typist. Can't touch type on the OSK.