What's new

How's your friction hinges after 6 months?

goodintentions

I know some of you bought an sp3 right away. Have your friction hinges become less frictiony at all?

Mine is still on the way and I won't get it until tomorrow. Just wondering.

mahdi75

Mine is still working perfectly.

Although last night, I had a nightmare. the hinge of my Surface was broken during that nightmare. I was so afraid, till I woke up :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only had mine 4 months as it was only released here in the UK in August but so far so good. I often use it with the hinge pushed all the way back too and it still seems fine at any position in between.

Telstar1948

Mine seems to have lost some tension because I can open the kickstand most of the way and set it on a table then I can actually see it slowly flatten to the max hinge opening position as I watch it. This doesn't really affect my use of the SP3. I remember someone mentioning that they keep the screws tight where the hinges are... do those screws you can see when looking at the hinges have anything to do with the degree of friction provided?

OP
G

goodintentions

Mine seems to have lost some tension because I can open the kickstand most of the way and set it on a table then I can actually see it slowly flatten to the max hinge opening position as I watch it. This doesn't really affect my use of the SP3. I remember someone mentioning that they keep the screws tight where the hinges are... do those screws you can see when looking at the hinges have anything to do with the degree of friction provided?
I'm thinking we can tighten a tiny bit the screws to get the friction to its full strength again.

That or tightening the screws might make the sp3 explode.

CrippsCorner

I thought I had a Surface Pro 3, then I remembered it was only the original version :eek:

surfacebeak1.gif

OP
G

goodintentions

I wonder as I'm typing on my new sp3... when it gets to the point where the friction hinges are worn, can we get replacements for them? Anyone have any idea?

I'm a structural engineer who used to work as an electronic repair tech. I have to worry about these things.