What's new

How's Your New Power Cover Working?

Sir Face

I am wondering if the owners of the new Power Cover are really liking it, are you finding issues that you don't like?
I got mine late today, and I'm just beginning to start playing with it. One strange little quirk I'm already seeing though, is the fact that that if I've got a full 100% charge on the Surface's internal battery, seems like the Power Cover's battery doesn't want to take a 100% charge. The indicator light in the charger cable goes off, indicating a full charge, I would assume, yet when I check it, it shows that the Power Cover has somewhat less than a full charge, say 60% or so. I wonder why it's doing this and if this is a problem with the Power cover itself?

mennogreg

I am wondering if the owners of the new Power Cover are really liking it, are you finding issues that you don't like?
I got mine late today, and I'm just beginning to start playing with it. One strange little quirk I'm already seeing though, is the fact that that if I've got a full 100% charge on the Surface's internal battery, seems like the Power Cover's battery doesn't want to take a 100% charge. The indicator light in the charger cable goes off, indicating a full charge, I would assume, yet when I check it, it shows that the Power Cover has somewhat less than a full charge, say 60% or so. I wonder why it's doing this and if this is a problem with the Power cover itself?

Give credit where credit it due. At least the Surface and its accessories are consistent!

drolem

it shows that the Power Cover has somewhat less than a full charge, say 60% or so. I wonder why it's doing this and if this is a problem with the Power cover itself?
One possible reason is overheating -- if the SP2 or the battery is hot enough, it will stop charging.

Of course a more likely possibility is a FW bug.... :p

OP
S

Sir Face

Oh, the March update has worked fine for me. Of course I wouldn't exactly consider myself a "power user". Overall, I have had virtually flawless operation from my SP2 and can't understand why there's comments such as the one above. This little odd behavior from the Power Cover is about the only unusual behavior I've experienced since having mine. I'm sure there's a reason that the charging behaves this way though. Right now, after an overnight charge, my SP2 is showing 25 hours and 40 minutes remaining ! The Power Cover's battery finally got up to 88%. Maybe it has to be ran down and charged up a few times to get up to speed?

P.S. I guess it didn't really work to well.. It totally screwed up my video driver and my SP2 will now no longer play Hulu videos. Duh!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My Power Cover arrived with 55% Charge, I charged it to 100%, took a couple of hours...