HTML 5 video on Windows RT

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by ouvreboite, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ouvreboite

ouvreboite New Member

I'm looking to buy the Surface RT to complement my desktop.

One of the usage that i could have is using the surface to Watch tutorial videos, freeing my desktop screen. More specifically, i enjoy the 3dbuzz tutorials.

I went to my local shop and found a Surface RT on show. I load one of the tutorials (like Unity Standard - Simple 2D Shooter - 01 - Introduction - 3DBuzz), but i didn't work. I went to the "desktop IE", which did nothing. Compatibility mode : nope. Even try the "flash whitelist trick", which neither worked (but, maybe it needs an admin account). It's strange because thoses videos works flawlessly on my WP8 device.

So, i would like to know if any of the Surface RT users around here are able to watch thoses videos.

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Interesting, it is not working. Most likely they have an coding error someplace. You might want to contact them about the issue and send them this link.

Home | Testing made easier in Internet Explorer | modern.IE

Hits come up under CSS, browser detection and for Windows 8 - touch browsing and start tile.

3. ouvreboite

ouvreboite New Member

So, i went back to the store to keep toying.

I tried to change the user agent in desktop IE, with no more success (still the same "html5" error, i was hoping for a "flash disabled" error at least...)
    I inspected the page to find the link of the .mp4 video file. Using directly this link in IE launched the video app and the video launched fine.

Definitely inconvenient, so i'll try to contact the site to see what can be done.

4. asifsid

asifsid New Member

You can try disabling the "ActiveX" filtering from setting. Or easier, click on the icon that appears next to the address bar in desktop mode and disable filtering for the site. The latest update for RT automatically sets the ActiveX filtering on.