What's new

I didn't know that the SP3 was water cooled.

bluegrass

Below is an excerpt from the following link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/61155611/cool-intro-to-surface-pro-3-at-teched-nz

Dr Michelle Dickinson, who runs New Zealand's only nanomechanical testing laboratory at the University of Auckland, stripped Microsoft's new Surface Pro 3 tablet computer down to its component parts and revealed that it is, in fact, water cooled.

Ultra thin copper piping arranged in a horseshoe pumps cooled water to the area of the tablet surrounding the central processing unit. The water cooling is what makes it possible to have desktop grade computing power in a tablet

megatronium

Below is an excerpt from the following link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/61155611/cool-intro-to-surface-pro-3-at-teched-nz

Dr Michelle Dickinson, who runs New Zealand's only nanomechanical testing laboratory at the University of Auckland, stripped Microsoft's new Surface Pro 3 tablet computer down to its component parts and revealed that it is, in fact, water cooled.

Ultra thin copper piping arranged in a horseshoe pumps cooled water to the area of the tablet surrounding the central processing unit. The water cooling is what makes it possible to have desktop grade computing power in a tablet

Wow!

leeshor

Quite a piece of modern engineering. Liquid filled heat pipes are common on some desktop motherboards but it typically is passive radiation cooling and not necessarily even water. In short it's difficult to call that liquid cooling.

kundas1

if that were the case, then why is some people complaining about the heat issues and thermal shut downs when installing updates? something doesn't sound right to me, wouldn't that negate all the over heating issues and make over heating NON existing?

ZorMi

I understood there was a bug when rebooting a warm SP3 after updates - thermometer icon and shut down (happened to me once). I did not see the same issue in regular usage, only during restart and that should be fixed now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
According to Microsoft, the machine wasn't over-heating but it was a Firmware Fault on the Power Management Firmware EPROM, Tuesday's update to the Firmware is supposed to have fixed it, this is also why some still received the error while applying as the bug was still present until the new Firmware was applied....