What's new

I didn't know that the SP3 was water cooled.

leeshor

You are making a mistake calling it water cooled. It's a liquid filled heat pipe simply finding more surface area to use static liquid to help with radiational cooling.

It is a totally closed system, nothing is really mechanically being circulated. There will be no leaks or evaporation.

While the heat pipe in the SP3 is probably one of the thinnest examples the tech isn't anything special. Just about every notebook on the market has something similar just on a larger scale.

OP
B

bluegrass

While the heat pipe in the SP3 is probably one of the thinnest examples the tech isn't anything special. Just about every notebook on the market has something similar just on a larger scale.

Kind like this one hanging on the wall of my cubical at work.
WP_20140910_16_41_37_Pro.jpg

OP
B

bluegrass

I just titled this thread because of what Dr. Dickinson stated in her article. If she is wrong than she is wrong. I don't know that anyone here has inside information as to what exactly is in the copper pipe.

dleuen

Very cool to see the technology, design considerations, and incredible engineering that went into this device.

guymalloc

I'm surprised they didn't use a peltier cooling setup, but that would create a definite hotspot where the radiator end was......