What's new

I just want to know why Microsoft?

fonzman78

I am a go to guy at work and family when it comes time to purchase electronic devices. As much as I like the SP3 (I have one) and its many little issues. Those people who talked to me about SF3, I pretty much recommend NOT to get it, at least not at the current time. Unless they prepare to deal with some issues. This is a premium product, I expected it to be more stable. I have to reboot mine 2-3 times a day so I can use it.

That's unfortunate that you have to restart your SP3 2-3 times a day. I've always wondered why some folks have major issues while other folks have none or very minor ones. I seldom have to reboot my SP3. Usually it's only for updates. Certainly not 2-3 times a day. I won't say the SP3 is issue free but having been in the Windows world, I'm used to random things happening.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think overall, now that MS is also a hardware vendor, they will gain a perspective they have not had in the past. if they hope to make Surface a profitable business in its own right, not withstanding other benefits derived from pushing the technology, they will have to improve and that's a good thing.

megatronium

1. andy3090 You're biased and impatient. :D kidding

2. GreyFox7 Isn't MS looking to get out of hardware per the new CEO? I hope not and think Surface might survive though.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. andy3090 You're biased and impatient. :D kidding

2. GreyFox7 Isn't MS looking to get out of hardware per the new CEO? I hope not and think Surface might survive though.
I don't know. I do know that CEO types speak in big marshmallow terms and are almost always misinterpreted by those doing the interpreting. .

double07

That's unfortunate that you have to restart your SP3 2-3 times a day. I've always wondered why some folks have major issues while other folks have none or very minor ones. I seldom have to reboot my SP3. Usually it's only for updates. Certainly not 2-3 times a day. I won't say the SP3 is issue free but having been in the Windows world, I'm used to random things happening.

The first two weeks, this thing is solid. I didn't have any issue at all. It was perfect. I was like what is everyone talking about? Ever since 8/12 update, my SF3 is having real issue with Wifi. It is just randomly lost the wifi. Not lost connection, the wifi adapter is simply doesn't exist according to the OS. It just said, your device doesn't have wifi adaptor. The only to get it back is to reboot.

mitchellvii

I just bought the i3 version and ran all the updates. So far have no issues at all with wifi or anything else for that matter.

Wifi does run slower on battery than when plugged in but we are talking 40 mbps vs 55 mbps, or in other words, fast vs fast. Web pages load very quickly. Faster than on my i5 laptop actually.

Kif

I just bought the i3 version and ran all the updates. So far have no issues at all with wifi or anything else for that matter.

Wifi does run slower on battery than when plugged in but we are talking 40 mbps vs 55 mbps, or in other words, fast vs fast. Web pages load very quickly. Faster than on my i5 laptop actually.

So you pulled the trigger after all. I think the i3 is a pretty good buy. You get a lot of machine for the money. Congratulations!

Last edited:

bluegrass

My solution would be for Microsoft to give away at least a 1000 new Surfaces to people like are on this forum. They would get tested doing all kinds of various tasks and when any of the 1000 + people using the new units have a problem, they have a special direct path to MS techs that are working out the bugs with new units.

This is the way software is tested before it hits retail. Why not do the same with the Surfaces? It would increase the cycle time of releasing new units but it might cut back on a lot of bad press and problems that folks like us experience as leading edge purchasers.

Bandito

I called the price of having a plug and play/open System.

The only problem with this theory is that the SP3 is a closed system as far as Microsoft is concerned. It's their baby all the way and since it is all hardware and software that they've chosen and tested out (supposedly) there really should be no surprises.

I'm not saying that it should be absolutely perfect, but I feel like it should have been much better than it was at release and still is two months later. Not to mention that this is their third time at bat.

malberttoo

The only problem with this theory is that the SP3 is a closed system as far as Microsoft is concerned. It's their baby all the way and since it is all hardware and software that they've chosen and tested out (supposedly) there really should be no surprises.

I'm not saying that it should be absolutely perfect, but I feel like it should have been much better than it was at release and still is two months later. Not to mention that this is their third time at bat.

I'm not disagreeing with you... but I think the "open" part means that it has to be open enough for anyone else to come along and write whatever software they want for the platform. How much testing can you really do thoroughly, when anyone can literally install anything they want on their devices, how could you plan for that at all? Sometimes I'm amazed anything works on my machines at all:eek:

Anyways no argument with your statement, just my point of view...

Last edited:

dleuen

+1. Specifically there should be no breakage of previously working things. It's a matter of where Microsoft wishes to spend their money and it looks like the Surface integration testing with Windows updates is not a priority.

gtext

I depend on my PC's both Mac and Windows to make my living.

Unless an update is to specifically to address an issue I'm having and I can't manage without it being fixed I NEVER install an update when their released. I leave it a few days until I see the no one is having any bad issues.
I'm lucky I guess having more than one Windows and Mac device so I can install the updates on only one to see how they go. That way at least I'm not writing of a day sorting out problems, and fixing any issues when I have time.
History has show many an update that has caused adverse effects, so it's not just a matter of if but when.