What's new

I kind of regret my Surface Pro 2 purchase & putting faith into Microsoft

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Normally I would agree here. But this is a device with the same identical hardware across the board and they botched a major firmware update.. Again I understand shit happens but they are a huge company with a ton of qa resources, it's mind boggling this slipped by.

I came here as an enthusiast. I didn't join the forums to complain. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally own a Surface pro 2, I hate being this let down. I defended this product in every meeting against coworkers who sat there with MacBooks that would ask me "why the heck would you buy a Surface?" -

While the hardware and base software were identical, people have a propensity to customize, many have installed reference drivers for Video, WLAN and even Chipset, then add 3rd party peripherals some using legacy drivers, now add 3rd party Security Software, legacy software, 3rd Party UI Software and registry tweaks people do and what commonality in the configuration cause the error, what are the patterns that emerge and then how to remediate the issues bringing everyone back to a stable baseline. Of course, people within this very community complain when MS does this, i.e. the reloading of the Surface version of the Intel Driver.

OP
G

godson594

Isn't it possible an apple device is what you need right now?

Why Apple? My thread started with me saying I run Solidworks which is a Windows only program. I still have a Windows desktop/ Macmini and work supplies me with a Macbook air too. I sold my personal Macbook air to switch over to the Surface because I also wanted a digitizer. I can't just go buy another device, I don't have that financial luxury unfortunately. I'm pretty vested in this SP2 at this point unless someone replies to my CL ad and wants to buy it. - Don't get me wrong... I Don't HATE this device, I feel super let down. I guess it was my fault to be so excited to get something that I thought met all my needs, and actually it WOULD meet all my needs if these stupid little quirks got fixed...

OP
G

godson594

While the hardware and base software were identical, people have a propensity to customize, many have installed reference drivers for Video, WLAN and even Chipset, then add 3rd party peripherals some using legacy drivers, now add 3rd party Security Software, legacy software, 3rd Party UI Software and registry tweaks people do and what commonality in the configuration cause the error, what are the patterns that emerge and then how to remediate the issues bringing everyone back to a stable baseline. Of course, people within this very community complain when MS does this, i.e. the reloading of the Surface version of the Intel Driver.

Brand new users who opened their Surface out of box with nothing installed ran into the firmware problem... There's no arguing against that when its an out of box first time user experience getting botched firmware. This is a case where we can't BLAME the user.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Stock x86 Surface Pro 2 256 = ummmmm, exactly one combination. Jnj, chem and dragon please search for the keywords "surface, works, love it, no issues, APIs, the fix is get a mac, career/life coach needed" and respond there, clearly your comments are not needed on this thread about 2 individuals trying to make the best out of their investment and ask the learned Surface community for technical help.

Your exercise would be one in futility as the way the internet magnifies issues especially when it comes to Microsoft. Any user of an x86 open platform has experienced issues, OSX is a closed system allowing much higher level of control, leading to a higher sense of stability.

Now, as far as a stock system, you've installed no 3rd party software or devices?

DragonGamer

Stock x86 Surface Pro 2 256 = ummmmm, exactly one combination. Jnj, chem and dragon please search for the keywords "surface, works, love it, no issues, APIs, the fix is get a mac, career/life coach needed" and respond there, clearly your comments are not needed on this thread about 2 individuals trying to make the best out of their investment and ask the learned Surface community for technical help.

Uhmmmm.... sorry, but what you do is nothing helpful either, nor does it help making more from their "investment". You just complain complain and complain and tell how bad MS is... the last suggestion how to fix any issue is sites ago. And in fact there was no asking for fixing issues anyways!...
So what for exactly do we need you in this thread? o:

One last try to make someone understand soemthing...

Microsoft is a HUGE company with unlimited resources.
Do you have any clue how developing something works?
Surely MS could take workers from other sections there, but do you really think you can tell someone who works on the Windows Design now to fix an issue with the Surface's firmware?
People from otehr sections would need weeks to work in before tehy could even start investigating the issue.
The same team which produced the issue can also repair it... even if that needs time.. :/ It's not a matter of general ressources. At least the fixing isn't. Initially they could have prevented all this with more investment in testing of course.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Brand new users who opened their Surface out of box with nothing installed ran into the firmware problem... There's no arguing against that when its an out of box first time user experience getting botched firmware. This is a case where we can't BLAME the user.

I would need to see the Telemetry Post Mortem to verify if that were true, again what order to the patch, did they load Office, etc.. Very few people update first. Just for the record, my December Firmware failed as well, I just applied the October Update that was reissued this week.

Uhmmmm.... sorry, but what you do is nothing helpful either, nor does it help making more from their "investment". You just complain complain and complain and tell how bad MS is... the last suggestion how to fix any issue is sites ago. And in fact there was no asking for fixing issues anyways!...
So what for exactly do we need you in this thread? o:

One last try to make someone understand soemthing...

Do you have any clue how developing something works?
Surely MS could take workers from other sections there, but do you really think you can tell someone who works on the Windows Design now to fix an issue with the Surface's firmware?
People from otehr sections would need weeks to work in before tehy could even start investigating the issue.
The same team which produced the issue can also repair it... even if that needs time.. :/ It's not a matter of general ressources. At least the fixing isn't. Initially they could have prevented all this with more investment in testing of course.

When's the last time you saw an x86 with firmware from Microsoft? NEVER, this is a new ballpark where MS has taken it upon themselves to release their own proprietary hardware and firmware (Apple's approach) As a result they need to elevate their standards of testing (my issue) and customer fulfillment (OPs issue) when the device or firmware patch is faulty. What would have been a helpful reply from anyone here would be "have you tried to revert the firmware," "here's what I did to remediate the same issue..." I expressed my sympathy to the OP and stated my similar disappointment with the device. Not MS bashing, get over yourself and leave the thread if you have nothing constructive to add.

I would need to see the Telemetry Post Mortem to verify if that were true, again what order to the patch, did they load Office, etc.. Very few people update first. Just for the record, my December Firmware failed as well, I just applied the October Update that was reissued this week.

And according to MS this caused the variance in update experience. For any device of any kind, fixing a botched firmware patch with another patch is always a sh*t-storm. I too applied the October patch and am still faced with my issues. Just look at the thread listing for SP2 in this forum... ok done wasting my time here, I have a case with MS who will either ship a new device if it can happen before the forthcoming Jan 2014 fix. I too am an enthusiast and have made a home here on this forum, so see you around.

Last edited:
OP
G

godson594

This thread crashed and burned. This is typical in a forum of enthusiasts/fanatics. I don't feel like going in circles with everyone. There isn't anything someone can say that changes my situation, just because my issues didn't happen to you doesn't mean they aren't real problems.

Dragongamer - I work in engineering in the Consumer Electronics/Product world. I see products go from ideas, to testing and onto store shelves. So YES I understand fully the behind the scenes of this type of product. In fact that's the only reason I have been so forgiving with all the software problems.

jnjnoach - To answer your question. I installed Photoshop, Illustrator, Mischief, Wacom driver and that's it. You cant honestly sit here and tell me someone didn't update their product straight out of box before installing a bunch of stuff. I guarantee these programs I have installed aren't the problem to the botched firmware...

I put up with all the issues listed that were software. The screen coming loose/squeeking 2 months into ownership is "the straw that broke the camel's back" so they say...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This thread crashed and burned. This is typical in a forum of enthusiasts/fanatics. I don't feel like going in circles with everyone. There isn't anything someone can say that changes my situation, just because my issues didn't happen to you doesn't mean they aren't real problems.

Dragongamer - I work in engineering in the Consumer Electronics/Product world. I see products go from ideas, to testing and onto store shelves. So YES I understand fully the behind the scenes of this type of product. In fact that's the only reason I have been so forgiving with all the software problems.

jnjnoach - To answer your question. I installed Photoshop, Illustrator, Mischief, Wacom driver and that's it. You cant honestly sit here and tell me someone didn't update their product straight out of box before installing a bunch of stuff. I guarantee these programs I have installed aren't the problem to the botched firmware...

I put up with all the issues listed that were software. The screen coming loose/squeeking 2 months into ownership is "the straw that broke the camel's back" so they say...

And I acknowledge that your machine has a defect and should be replaced under warranty. My only goal is to offer a counter that not all or even a majority of devices are having a problem and while some are impacted there are remedies that are available or will be.

OP
G

godson594

I couldn't even make this up. 10 minutes ago my Type cover 2 stopped working. I have reboot my device, re-attached keyboard you name it... It no longer functions lol... It lights up and the volume keys and trackpad work but nothing else works.

F ME. Guess I can chalk this up as a Lemon

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks..... is there a MS Store near you? I've always received top service from them, and they are a separate team from the online store.