What's new

I kind of regret my Surface Pro 2 purchase & putting faith into Microsoft

Actually, I think my point was not everyone is experiencing the issues brought up in this thread, that most are using the Surface Pro 2 daily doing real work without issue. I use my USB Port all the time with external drives. We have 3 Pro 2 devices in the house, all used heavily all with different use cases.

If your device is defective exchange or have it repaired, it happens in all massed produced devices across all brands and manufacturers. The issue is with ranting and pile on the anti-Microsoft press jumps on it and spreads more and more FUD about the devices. I'm heavily invested in the Surface ecosystem and want it to continue if for nothing else to lose the Google/Apple Duopoly in the Mobile Space and the continued prodding of the OEMs to create better Windows devices.

This is the last time I'll say it: the my device works fine, stop bitching reply does not help. This is prob the most defensive least helpful forum I've ever joined, thanks.

Again, many of us aren't having issues with external storage, like I said I use them daily with large copies (40-80GB VMs I use for testing). I have old USB 2 and newer USB 3 drives, 3.5 and 2.5 variants. I will say that I don't use a HUB.

Then stfu and dont reply to the thread if you dont have problems with your USB ecosystem, some people do.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My point, it isn't a design flaw it is a faulty machine, exchange it or repair it but stop making a bigger deal then it is....

My point, it isn't a design flaw it is a faulty machine, exchange it or repair it but stop making a bigger deal then it is....

You have no idea what it is. Interjecting your USB scenario vs others is foolish and unhelpful. What may result of this is that the USB bus in the SP2 is incompatible with the devices a particular user has, that is a valid discovery opportunity they and the users of this forum deserve.

DragonGamer

You have no idea what it is. Interjecting your USB scenario vs others is foolish and unhelpful. What may result of this is that the USB bus in the SP2 is incompatible with the devices a particular user has, that is a valid discovery opportunity they and the users of this forum deserve.
You have no clue either what it technically is, so stop just assuming this would be an issue on all Surface Pro 2's!
Suggestion: Go to an MS-Store or Bestbuy, etc. and ask very, very friendly whether you may try one of the devices which fail on your SP2 on one of theirs in the shop. This way you know for sure whether its a general issue or just on yours...

You have no clue either what it technically is, so stop just assuming this would be an issue on all Surface Pro 2's!
Suggestion: Go to an MS-Store or Bestbuy, etc. and ask very, very friendly whether you may try one of the devices which fail on your SP2 on one of theirs in the shop. This way you know for sure whether its a general issue or just on yours...

I've always said its particular users and their devices. No one has ever said all SP2s, read much? Some have lemons others have experienced the December Firmware nightmare, this is a significant user base and we have come here to find a solution. Please only respond in the "my Surface is working perfectly" threads which are rare on device forums such as this.

Last edited:

irrationaljay

myservice.surface.com

This is a very defensive thread, but then again all Microsoft forums tend to be. At least we are a passionate bunch haha.

Anyway,
My Surface worked flawlessly until the December Update where I encountered the dreaded battery issue, it also killed the first row of keys on my Type Cover. (Random Right?) Needless to say I freaked out. But I simply visited myservice.surface.com registered my device with its S/N, put in a return and BAM! I received my confirmation email and my new devices were shipped out to me within 24hrs.

These devices are all under warranty and Microsoft even offers advanced exchange so you don't have to go without a device, they ship you your new device first and you return your old one once you get it. I'm guessing not everyone knows about this site, so I figured I'd drop in and tell you guys about my experience.

It was flawless.

There aren't any Microsoft Stores in my area so that was out of the question, but even if there were I would still go this route because most stores (including Microsoft' online store) seem to be out of stock. Going straight through their service channel is probably everyone's best bet.

I highly recommend anyone that's having an issues with their products to just simply visit myservice.surface.com

Last edited:
Dare I say you guys came into this with a completely wrong attitude? Seem to me like you wanted the surface to succeed. This is the mentality of a fanboy.

Remember that the surface, just like everything else in life, is just a tool. It either serves your purpose or it doesn't.

When I started working on a LOB app for my company, I started working on it for iOS. Why? Because the iPad was suppose to be king and the old guys here didn't know about anything else. Within the first week, I made the executive decision to abandon iOS. It is little more than a toy. Don't know what the big fuss was. Simply too many controls missing for a serious engineering work app.

So, I went to android. Spent a few weeks on it and then gave it up as well. Again, the API's are simply not intended for serious work. And android is buggy as hell.

Then I began on a metro version. I've run into a few frustrations, but for the most part metro is what I've decided to stick with for this project.

Having the fanboy mentality is never a good idea. If you run into unsolvable problems, move on to something else.

This still makes me laugh!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've always said its particular users and their devices. No one has ever said all SP2s, read much? Some have lemons others have experienced the December Firmware nightmare, this is a significant user base and we have come here to find a solution. Please only respond in the "my Surface is working perfectly" threads which are rare on device forums such as this.

This isn't a support forum, this is a Surface Enthusiast Community. We do offer assistance, but most of the issues have been addressed in other threads, this thread is a rant the devolved into the steaming pile that it is now.

The official support forum is here:

Surface - Microsoft Community

Steve - lets all take a deep breathe and reset the tone in this thread. I apologize if I've offended you and your sensibilities, please don't judge the community based on this thread.

OP
G

godson594

Ok so just spent some time on chat - Gave em my creditcard to put a hold on to and they are sending out a replacement unit. Hopefully the new one is good, if not then I have to escalate and work on trying to get all my money back.

I want to LOVE this device. I'm over 1500.00 bucks into it so I expected more. In all my years of buying laptops, tablets bla bla bla I have never had this many issues with one device. A lot of the issues are driver/firmware related and I liked the device enough that I put up with it because I know it can be fixed... Bad hardware is something I can't deal with, I didn't buy this as a toy... It's crucial to how I work - I researched Surface pro since before the first one came out, I didn't just blindly jump into this, in fact I kept my Macbook Air during the entire return period of my Pro just in case it didn't work out. The problem comes with things happening after my return period (Bad screen, bad firmware, USB transfer issues) -

I understand a lot of people here don't have issues. It's not why I made this thread, hell part of me needed to vent it out somewhere where I wouldn't be told to go buy an Apple product "I was still told to go back to Apple here ha" - Fact remains there are many issues with the SP2, even if you have perfect hardware there are multiple software problems, again you may not notice them because you aren't using the same things I do (Solidworks is a perfect example - there is an OPENGL problem with SP2+Drivers that require a registry hack) -This is a fairly expensive device aimed at the professional world (hence why I hold it to high standards) This device is on it's second generation now - there's no excuse for Screen flicker driver problems when it's been an issue since SP1 especially since a driver can easily fix it, it's little BS like this that tells me maybe the team working on the SP isn't ready for prime time. Again I am holding Microsoft to high standards, they have been around forever now it wasn't like I backed this off a Kickstarter project and was unrealistic with my expectations.

Hopefully someone who is on the fence about getting a SP2 for use in Industrial Design / Graphic design stumbles upon this thread and can understand that there may be some seriously annoying issues.

Anyways - I'll post back once I get the new device and let you know how it went.

Microsoft customer care was very helpful and polite :D

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here's to hoping your replacement is of better quality, best of luck and I really hope it works out.

Dim-Ize

Great! Hope this resolves your issues, godson594. Let us know the outcome of your replacement device once you have restored your data and updated your device.