What's new

I Like Wacom Pen Better

phillymonster

The N-Trig Pen just doesn't write as smoothly. The writing is sort of "squiggly" if you know what I mean, at least using OneNote 2013.
The faster you write, the more smooth it is. The N-Trig technology isn't a deal breaker, but is a little disappointing.

godson594

Yea. Having both tablets I can say the wacom feels much better to me on "mischief" - hopefully things get better with pressure sensitivity...

ctitanic

Wacom is a company with many years of experience but N-trig has done a wonderful job with this pen. No parallax effect at all, something that in Wacom you can see sometimes.

jedge

The N-Trig Pen just doesn't write as smoothly. The writing is sort of "squiggly" if you know what I mean, at least using OneNote 2013.
The faster you write, the more smooth it is. The N-Trig technology isn't a deal breaker, but is a little disappointing.

Squiggly is the perfect word. Granted i don't have the best handwriting, but this n-trig pen makes it look worse. Too squiggly. And i don't think this is a defect, it's putting ink down exactly where it thinks the pen tip is and the smaller you write the more tiny imperfections in tracking you see... hence squiggles. If anything it's TOO precise.

The latest N-Trig driver does help a ton with reducing the amount of pressure needed. There is also an option to turn off pressure sensitivity in OneNote (the full Office 2013 version) so i'm still playing with that.

I think this is something that software can address though. Look at the inking apps on the iPad, who's screen isn't made for pen input AT ALL. Most of them go from bad to worse. But a few (Notability, Penultimate, etc..) do a pretty decent job because the software predicts and smooths out the gestures. I love how Notability gives handwriting a serifed or caligraphy look even though the tablet has no pressure sensitivity at all... it's all just brilliant software design.

Last edited:

Seneleron

Downloading the latest N-trig drivers ALLEGEDLY makes the n-trig pen 1000x better. I'm not a graphic artist, so I can't vouch for it [I've spent all of my time so far "docked" to my Display/USB hub] But I'd grab that and try it before condeming N-trig completely.

I *WILL* say I like the FEEL of the n-trig pen a lot better. . . . the Wacom pen was just to thin.

ctitanic

Squiggly is the perfect word. Granted i don't have the best handwriting, but this n-trig pen makes it look worse. Too squiggly. And i don't think this is a defect, it's putting ink down exactly where it thinks the pen tip is and the smaller you write the more tiny imperfections in tracking you see... hence squiggles. If anything it's TOO precise.

The latest N-Trig driver does help a ton with reducing the amount of pressure needed. There is also an option to turn off pressure sensitivity in OneNote (the full Office 2013 version) so i'm still playing with that.

I think this is something that software can address though. Look at the inking apps on the iPad, who's screen isn't made for pen input AT ALL. Most of them go from bad to worse. But a few (Notability, Penultimate, etc..) do a pretty decent job because the software predicts and smooths out the gestures. I love how Notability gives handwriting a serifed or caligraphy look even though the tablet has no pressure sensitivity at all... it's all just brilliant software design.

Probably it depends on what Apps are you using. I didn't buy the keyboard and I have been using the pen as my input method for everything I have been doing in this Tablet. I have been using TabletPCs since long time ago. To me, this pen is doing a wonderful job. Of course, it will get better with every new driver version. So I'm a happy camper so far. I traded in my S2 for this device Just for the "ink" experience. And I don't regret it!

Screenshot (1).png