What's new

I love sitting next to folks with iPads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree totally....I was totally shocked after purchasing my pro 2 when I discovered that it does not support connected standby. Immediately in 1 moment the surface pro 2 was no longer a true tablet device but 100% a laptop masquerading as a tablet. )

I concur with that. I've said lots of times that the only reason I can think for MS not supporting connected standby on SFPro 2 is because they want to artificially make the Surface RT more useful and/or not piss the other OEMs too much.

kevinlevrone

I was totally shocked after purchasing my pro 2 when I discovered that it does not support connected standby. Immediately in 1 moment the surface pro 2 was no longer a true tablet device but 100% a laptop masquerading as a tablet. For some it might be a small thing but in reality that is where ipad, surface 2, android absolutely kick the ass of the surface pro 2. You can put nearly all true tablets/phones/mobile devices in the market today to standby and get your email notifications etc on the go while listening to music as an example without suffering excessive battery drain.

I think that for notifications, connected stand-by is just lame and a marketing gimmick if the device also doesn't have at least a notification LED (not to mention some kind of Glance feature like Windows Phones or Moto X). I feel sorry when I see my colleagues with iPhones constantly pressing the home button to see if they have missed any notifications while they went away for a few minutes. It's just so stupid for Apple to not include a notification LED after all these years. I just glance at my LG G2 and from the LED color I see on which email account I received an email, or I see if there's a SMS or WhatsApp notification waiting.

That's why I never needed any kind of connected stand-by for my Surface Pro 2 because it would be useless, requiring me to constantly check for notifications. Because I receive all the notifications on my smartphone which is a must-carry device. I had this feature on my former Dell Venue 8 Pro and I never used it.

Jeffrey

As much as I love my SP, when it comes to travel, I'm gonna be consuming on my iPad Mini. Lighter, smaller and works well for all the content consumption I can think of.

My SP is more of a laptop/tablet for when I'm in more comfortable settings.

And how do you 'hard wire' an iPad to a network?? :) Last I looked there isn't any wired networking on/in it.

I tend to agree. I have an iPad mini and that's what I travel with.

benjitek

Surface Pro in a meeting 2.jpg
It's the new Lavender Barbie SP2 ;-)

Last edited:

TunaSurface

I knew the surface isn't only a toy. OP read my comment again and see if you get it.
I love my surface.
Lol benjitek kinda have to agree with you there.

CrippsCorner

While the OP story is great, it's just not fair to compare a Pro line to the iPad.

Surface RT/2 vs. iPad is far more interesting because they're in the same "family."

Whilst I completely see your point, at the end of the day they're both tablets... and one happens to do a hell of a lot more than the other. Perhaps they're not in the same 'family' as you put it, but it's definitely not unfair to compare their ultimate usage.

OP... great story! I have done similar, on a smaller scale, although unfortunately sometimes little hiccups on the Surface have let me down. Don't get me wrong though, iOS 7 has its own problems. Gotta say though dude, your decal/keyboard combination is pretty hideous lol, makes it 'look' less professional than the beautiful MacBook sitting across the desk!

macmee

I wish I had my iPad with me right now instead of my surface. On my homescreen, pressing on a tile doesn't do anything and so I'm literally stuck in IE because it was the only app I had open. Pretty great feature for a $1500 tablet.

Anyway I think this is a stupid thread. I could make an argument why my Surface is better than my iPad, I can make an argument as to why my iPad is better than my Surface, and I can make an argument as to why my N7 is better and worse than both other devices.

Let people use what they want to use, the iPad is a great tablet and there's no solid facts to say it's better or worse than the Surface, other than our opinions.

While the OP story is great, it's just not fair to compare a Pro line to the iPad.

Surface RT/2 vs. iPad is far more interesting because they're in the same "family."

Also this. The Surface is sort of in a category of its own.

Last edited:

godson594

I would love to see my parents try and use the sp2 vs their ipad -

At the end of the day of course you can do more with a real computer that's a no brainer. This thread just shows you how &*(^&* Microsofts marketing is. Not many people know what a surface is or what it is capable of... So ya funny how a consumer has no idea it can do all these things but the bigger picture is how sad it is really.

I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people it's an "Actual computer" when they see me rockin solid works...

With that being said... 4 gens of owning ipads I have had no problems... 1 Surface pro2 is endless problems =D --- This ISNT the device for an average Joe...

macmee

I would love to see my parents try and use the sp2 vs their ipad -

At the end of the day of course you can do more with a real computer that's a no brainer. This thread just shows you how &*(^&* Microsofts marketing is. Not many people know what a surface is or what it is capable of... So ya funny how a consumer has no idea it can do all these things but the bigger picture is how sad it is really.

I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people it's an "Actual computer" when they see me rockin solid works...

With that being said... 4 gens of owning ipads I have had no problems... 1 Surface pro2 is endless problems =D --- This ISNT the device for an average Joe...

For me being able to run full apps is a god send, but it really is the case where every day it's a new problem.

kristalsoldier

I agree totally....I was totally shocked after purchasing my pro 2 when I discovered that it does not support connected standby. Immediately in 1 moment the surface pro 2 was no longer a true tablet device but 100% a laptop masquerading as a tablet. For some it might be a small thing but in reality that is where ipad, surface 2, android absolutely kick the ass of the surface pro 2. You can put nearly all true tablets/phones/mobile devices in the market today to standby and get your email notifications etc on the go while listening to music as an example without suffering excessive battery drain.

I was soo very disappointed that I cannot use my tablet as a device to handle notifications in standby mode while I watch tv at home or in any situation where you are not sitting with the device connected to power plug. This issue effectively forces you to have phone or any mobile device within reach or ear shot all the time. I believe many have not picked up in this yet but in reality i do not know any people who enjoy taking audible notifications for email etc on their android and when they have a super do it all monster tablet sitting next to them. Microsoft completely and totally messed up on this!

Has anyone tried to listen to music with a touchcover 2 with the tablet in a small shoulder bag while travelling on the train? Again horrible experience screen on while in the bag, this then messes with sleep when you want to close the cover in office situation. Finally sorry if i went off the rails on this thread but i started writing and couldn't stop. I do love my surface pro 2 for everything else. (Even though i have just sent my 8gb 256gb for replacement)

Wow! I did not realize that the Pro/ Pro 2 does not have connected standby. But yes, even with connected standby devices (like the Surface 2), I would have liked a notification of some sort. I have to see if keeping the volume up does the trick - never thought of trying it out and I always mute the volume anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.