What's new

I love sitting next to folks with iPads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kundas1

I wish I had my iPad with me right now instead of my surface. On my homescreen, pressing on a tile doesn't do anything and so I'm literally stuck in IE because it was the only app I had open. Pretty great feature for a $1500 tablet.

Anyway I think this is a stupid thread. I could make an argument why my Surface is better than my iPad, I can make an argument as to why my iPad is better than my Surface, and I can make an argument as to why my N7 is better and worse than both other devices.

Let people use what they want to use, the iPad is a great tablet and there's no solid facts to say it's better or worse than the Surface, other than our opinions.

Also this. The Surface is sort of in a category of its own.

Wow you sound like a person who is jealous that his device isn't working but the OP is working just fine, I also enjoy my S2 immensely and agree with the OP that the Surface is superior in every way to the iPad... it sucks that your having so much trouble with your device but please don't rain on our parade of working devices thanks LOL

Charlie

I love sitting next to folks with iPads.

So you can look at their great pictures

I love this sp2 but the camera really needs some work. If this tablet had the ipad camera it be a world class tablet

macmee

Wow you sound like a person who is jealous that his device isn't working but the OP is working just fine, I also enjoy my S2 immensely and agree with the OP that the Surface is superior in every way to the iPad... it sucks that your having so much trouble with your device but please don't rain on our parade of working devices thanks LOL

Actually I'm experiencing many of the same bugs that most users have been experiencing. I doubt nobody here could say they've owned their device for 6 months and that they've NEVER had ANY issues with their surface at all.

Also, I've had 2 Surface devices with virtually identical software bugs so I doubt I just have a "buggy device", I think all devices are buggy ;)

OP
F

fonzman78

Just wrapping up my Chicago trip. Didn't realize that this subject would cause so much heartburn. I was just having some fun and helping others see the value in the Surface. Obviously, I love my Surface. And for others, you obviously like your preferred device. As others have stated, the best device is the one you that works best for you.

For those of you have are having serious issues, I wish you weren't. I don't know what to tell you but I just don't have the same problems. My Surface works perfectly. Was it replaced once? Sure. Did it sour me. No. I got a new one (refurbished I imagine and still 4200U) and I'm thrilled that it delivers as expected.

I agree that MS has not marketed the Surface correctly. But who am I to judge this. I want the Surface to succeed so I do indeed enjoy doing what I call my 'Surface' thing. I stand behind my non confrontational approach to helping others see what they are missing. I don't push myself on others. I don't tell them their devices suck. I simply open my SPro2 or RT and just let the questions come naturally. A person can choose to ask me questions or just ignore me. I'm just ready to help. :)

Oh, and yes, my skin/background are 'unprofessional'. It's actually a blood red skull on my SPro2 and the same skull but black/white on my RT that you can find at decalgirl.com. I get a lot of crap from my 'professional' peers, but, hey, when you are an old dog with lot's of experience and seniority, you can get away with some sh!t. You only live once. Might as well have fun.

Arizona Willie

That is strange. I have had my Surface Pro ( original ) since the week they came out and have noticed NO problems.

I don't see any screen bleed. It has never locked up. I < have > had a small problem with my Logitech mouse but that isn't due to the tablet in any way and it seems to have resolved itself, perhaps during one of the updates.

I haven't even been tempted to trade for an SP2 because this one has done a fine job.

Oh yeah, I haven't been able to get mine to send video to an external monitor --- but that is a cable problem apparently, because using a Chromecast it DID work, just way to slow because Chromecast works via your wireless network and that puts a 1 second delay or so and that is unacceptable. But again, that isn't the fault of the Surface but of the cable people. I ordered an adapter supposedly for the Surface Pro but it doesn't work. Bad adapter? possibly.

Anyway, after a year's use I'm still quite happy with my Surface Pro and, for me, it has been trouble free -- as far as the Surface itself goes. Accessories, not so much.

For me being able to run full apps is a god send, but it really is the case where every day it's a new problem.

darkwolf

Talking about Surface Pro advantages...

A while ago I had a stopover in Dubai and thought why not pay a visit to the Burj Khalifa and enjoy the view a bit before continuing my journey?
Once there, during the obligatory security check I was told that I am not allowed to take up a PC, security reasons and such. Tablets and phones however are allowed. (why I don't know)
I wasn't sure how I should approach this since the Surface Pro is both really, so I asked him what defines a PC according to their rules? He said that any device with a keyboard has to stay at the counter in security lockup.
So I unsnapped my keyboard and gave him that. :) I went up with my surface in hand and the keyboard in lockup. >_<

It truly goes beyond any existing device, so much so that the current rules don't even apply to it.

Buelligan

Actually I'm experiencing many of the same bugs that most users have been experiencing. I doubt nobody here could say they've owned their device for 6 months and that they've NEVER had ANY issues with their surface at all.

Also, I've had 2 Surface devices with virtually identical software bugs so I doubt I just have a "buggy device", I think all devices are buggy ;)

Nobody, here! LOL I've had my Surface Pro 1 for over a year now with one small hiccup. I had one issue early on, but pretty sure it had to do with a completely drained battery. Had to charge over night and it recovered just fine. ABSOLUTLY FLAWLESS otherwise. I must be the exception to your rules? :-D

CrippsCorner

Yeah, he and I go the rounds on MS vs Apple. Lots of good natured fun. I still haven't quite converted him yet. He will see the light some day....

You get that everywhere! Though we simply have more 'haters' than 'lovers' for any brand... be it Apple or Microsoft. My personal boss is obsessed with Linux, but personally I've never had much luck with that.

macmee

Nobody, here! LOL I've had my Surface Pro 1 for over a year now with one small hiccup. I had one issue early on, but pretty sure it had to do with a completely drained battery. Had to charge over night and it recovered just fine. ABSOLUTLY FLAWLESS otherwise. I must be the exception to your rules? :-D

I don't have a SP1 I have a SP2, although I KNOW the sleep issue is very common, just because you don't experience it doesn't mean lots of other don't...

Look for yourself:

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/...-where-device-crashes-when-booting-sleep.html

Highly unfortunate and annoying problem. If you were experiencing it after forking over $1500, you would be mad too.

That is strange. I have had my Surface Pro ( original ) since the week they came out and have noticed NO problems.

I don't see any screen bleed. It has never locked up. I < have > had a small problem with my Logitech mouse but that isn't due to the tablet in any way and it seems to have resolved itself, perhaps during one of the updates.

I haven't even been tempted to trade for an SP2 because this one has done a fine job.

Oh yeah, I haven't been able to get mine to send video to an external monitor --- but that is a cable problem apparently, because using a Chromecast it DID work, just way to slow because Chromecast works via your wireless network and that puts a 1 second delay or so and that is unacceptable. But again, that isn't the fault of the Surface but of the cable people. I ordered an adapter supposedly for the Surface Pro but it doesn't work. Bad adapter? possibly.

Anyway, after a year's use I'm still quite happy with my Surface Pro and, for me, it has been trouble free -- as far as the Surface itself goes. Accessories, not so much.

Possibly these problems are with the SP2 then? I know of other users who have similar problems to me. The keyboard stops popping up even in metro mode, BSOD on sleep startup, touchscreen jitters.

Also since you brought up light bleed, I have light bleed too, but its only noticable on the surface startup screen.

The last time I did a device exchange they sent me an older device then the one I have that had some serious colouring issues, so there's no point doing an advance exchange again imo. Mostly all the problems I'm experiencing seem to be related to software anyway.

We just need better linux drivers for this thing. Then we can ditch Windows and enjoy the hardware :)

Last edited:

Korlon

I've had my sp2 since mid January and it has been just shy of flawless. a minor issue with battery charging and pen operation but I resolved those issues within an hour of noticing them thanks to some timely help from the members of this forum.

I do have tremendous sympathy for those experiencing constant sp2 problems as the price tag for these wonderful tools is too steep to make its owner feel like a beta tester. but I have to question just how pervasive these flaws are. owners of sp2's that work well are not likely to write a msg to complain about it. if they are like me, they will occasionally skim through forums like this and move on with their routines. So while we can observe and count how many are having issues with the sp2, we really can't say, proportionally speaking, as to how pervasive these issues actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.