What's new

I love sitting next to folks with iPads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deckyon

If it was that bad, why keep it?

FYI, there were plenty of issues with the iPad (1 and 2) with light leaks. Those who took their device back were either refunded or given a new one. Hardware issues are "easy to fix" IF you go in with the right attitude. Cussing at the person who is attempting to help wont get it fixed. Get frustrated, keep climbing the chain until you hit the actual manager, not line supervisor or line manager.

Software, after 18 years in dealing with computers of all kinds at all levels, well over 95% of the problems are all P.E.B.K.A.C. GIGO is also something we learned early: if you tell it to jump, but want it to roll over, don't be upset when it jumps.

Sorry, but I am going with my own personal knowledge here in dealing with users for 18 years.

hksrb25s14

Lol I was in the same, but it was for gaming.
This guy had an iPad with a fancy case and was playing nova 3 like there's no tomorrow,
thanks to virtual touchpad controls from gestureworks, I busted out Crysis 3 and showed him not to bust out playing a bootleg version.
then he went on playing emulators, he played final fantasy 7 from some psx emulators, then I broke out my personal WiFi then busted out playing Final fantasy 14.
and then he turned off his iPad and said my battery ran out, I was like yeah right.

OP
F

fonzman78

I would love to see my parents try and use the sp2 vs their ipad - This ISNT the device for an average Joe...

No doubt the iPad is easier to use for some. Ok, for lots not some. But I'm determined to help folks change their thinking.

A month ago I had my SPro2 at an internal meeting. As I always do, I took out my SPro2 out and started doing my 'Surface' thing. A female co-worker looked over and commented on how cool the tablet was but was just 'confused' on the whole 'Windows 8' thing. She liked her iPad because it so much easier. As she looked over my shoulder she wanted to know 'how do you even know where you're at or get back Home?' I asked her how does she get Home with her iPad. She said I simply push the big button and I get Home right away. And I said 'you mean like this?' and I pushed the Windows button which took me right to my Home screen. She said 'wow, that was easy'.

She then commented that with the iPad it was simple to find her apps by just swiping from screen to screen and pressing the app icon. I said 'you mean like this' and I scrolled left and right on the Home screen to display my apps and pressed one to open it. Then I again pressed the Home button to get back to Home screen. Then I showed her how I could swipe between open apps. I took me less than 5 minutes to show her how to use the Surface. She was amazed at how simple and easy it was to learn the gestures.

Oh, and she is an average Joe. Not very technical. I'm not saying the Surface is easier to use. It just takes time to learn it.

Needless to say, she bought an SPro2 the next week. She called me to thank me for taking the time to show her. She has replaced it for the heavy Dell laptop and iPad she used to carry. It fits in her purse/handbag and does all she needs to do for her sales role. She absolutely loves the SPro2.

OP
F

fonzman78

If it was that bad, why keep it?

Yes, I still don't understand why someone would keep a device that has only given them problems. The time invested in searching for fixes, applying patches, trading for new devices, getting a bad replacement, posting in forums, restoring original image, trading for new device again, getting another bad replacement, searching for fixes, restoring original image again, and on and on and on. I would give up no matter how much I liked the form factor. I would sell the device at a loss and take that money and get another device that would better suit me.

But, that's just me.

mtalinm

this is my thing with iSheep (including the one I married). they ASS-U-ME that anything not made by the fruit company is hard to use. they won't even try other stuff because "it looks hard!"

No doubt the iPad is easier to use for some. Ok, for lots not some. But I'm determined to help folks change their thinking.

A month ago I had my SPro2 at an internal meeting. As I always do, I took out my SPro2 out and started doing my 'Surface' thing. A female co-worker looked over and commented on how cool the tablet was but was just 'confused' on the whole 'Windows 8' thing. She liked her iPad because it so much easier. As she looked over my shoulder she wanted to know 'how do you even know where you're at or get back Home?' I asked her how does she get Home with her iPad. She said I simply push the big button and I get Home right away. And I said 'you mean like this?' and I pushed the Windows button which took me right to my Home screen. She said 'wow, that was easy'.

She then commented that with the iPad it was simple to find her apps by just swiping from screen to screen and pressing the app icon. I said 'you mean like this' and I scrolled left and right on the Home screen to display my apps and pressed one to open it. Then I again pressed the Home button to get back to Home screen. Then I showed her how I could swipe between open apps. I took me less than 5 minutes to show her how to use the Surface. She was amazed at how simple and easy it was to learn the gestures.

Oh, and she is an average Joe. Not very technical. I'm not saying the Surface is easier to use. It just takes time to learn it.

Needless to say, she bought an SPro2 the next week. She called me to thank me for taking the time to show her. She has replaced it for the heavy Dell laptop and iPad she used to carry. It fits in her purse/handbag and does all she needs to do for her sales role. She absolutely loves the SPro2.

macmee

this is my thing with iSheep (including the one I married). they ASS-U-ME that anything not made by the fruit company is hard to use. they won't even try other stuff because "it looks hard!"

And there's a lot of Windows people who assume OS X and the Apple ecosystem is worse based, based on price and cosmetics.

If people don't understand that no device is better and that both have their merits then they're just being ridiculous.

Once again, this thread is stupid.

And there's a lot of Windows people who assume OS X and the Apple ecosystem is worse based, based on price and cosmetics.

If people don't understand that no device is better and that both have their merits then they're just being ridiculous.

Once again, this thread is stupid.

Hey man, did you get the update in the end? :)

Yeah after reinstalling Windows completely, the update showed up. This device is going to be the end of me if I have to do this for every major update.

Sucks that it took so long, but I guess it's good it arrived in the end. Any chance you could get an in-store exchange? I'm surprised you haven't tried another advanced exchange yet, I know the process sucks but it's better than what you have now, surely?

CrippsCorner

seriously I never get posts like this, having a tablet isn't about the 46" experience I have a desktop computer for that, its for portability and watching movies while mobile is what it's about, and watching movies on the Surface is a joy to do with no problems whatsoever, perhaps maybe you should get your eyes checked? so I totally agree with Deckyon also when I wanna watch a tv show in bed without disturbing anyone else is also a joy to do on the Surface...

I will never watch a movie 'on the go' because I respect the medium too much. It's like people who walk along the streets with music blaring out their tinny phone speakers... not how the producers wanted their music to sound.

Eyes checked? How rude... it's nothing to do with my eyesight, it's simply to do with the experience of watching a movie. I'm happy you have sub par standards, however I do not. No movie has to be seen that urgently that it can't wait until I get home :)

macmee

Then don't read/post in it. No one is forcing you in here.

If I want to post in it calling it stupid, then I'll post in it calling it stupid. I have had countless problems with my Surface but I still love my little diseased tablet regardless. Regardless as to how good or how bad W8 tablets are however, right now in 2014 the iPad is still a good buy for a lot of people.

Not everyone is like you or like me, who has an involuntary orgasm each time we boot up our tablet and see a full Windows desktop. Not everyone cares if IE11 completely wrecks mobile webkit, and even JavaScriptCore on the iPad (which is still used in embedded webviews on iOS). For what the iPad is, and for what and who they market it towards, the iPad is a very nice device. It's thin, has a huge application database, an excellent retina screen, and although iOS is limited in many regards, a lot of people would say they like how simple it is and how it just works.

I will never watch a movie 'on the go' because I respect the medium too much. It's like people who walk along the streets with music blaring out their tinny phone speakers... not how the producers wanted their music to sound.

Eyes checked? How rude... it's nothing to do with my eyesight, it's simply to do with the experience of watching a movie. I'm happy you have sub par standards, however I do not. No movie has to be seen that urgently that it can't wait until I get home :)

I don't like watching movies on the go either, I'm more akin to books on the go movie at home. However, I wont deny that the Surface is a beast for playing video. 1080 screen, haswell cpu for good battery life, and it's easier to get media onto than iOS is.

Status
Not open for further replies.