What's new

I must be in the minority here; zero issues with my SP3 i7

mwilson

No overheating/runaway fan, no yellow lines or light bleeding, no WiFi slowdowns or connectivity issues, no problems resuming from standby, no crashes or lockups. Every single issue I've read about here my device does not have it. Batch 1435, impulse purchase from Microsoft kiosk at the mall (went there to get cologne, ended up with surface) a couple of weeks ago.

Battery life is at least 7 hours daily with normal to intensive use - web browsing, emails, Netflix, vpn connected into my office at times, Lightroom and Photoshop photo editing, etc.

Watch me jinx it, might start with issues any moment now :)

As context, I use a mac pro and a MacBook pro at home, and an iMac at the office. This is my first encounter with Windows 8 that I can tolerate. As much as I think it's atrocious on a desktop, it's outstanding on the surface, I much prefer it over an iPad.

The sp3 is exceeding my expectations in every single way.

Garyjk

you're not in the minority. remember, most of the people here found the forum because they have an issue. there are a lot more that have the surface pro that don't look for the forum because they don't have issues.

OP
M

mwilson

you're not in the minority. remember, most of the people here found the forum because they have an issue. there are a lot more that have the surface pro that don't look for the forum because they don't have issues.

Well if one reads about 3-4 repeated exchanges in order to get a good unit, one starts to wonder about rampant qc flaws.... Or rampant OCD, could be argued, but the problems described seemed real and different from unit to unit.

ctitanic

No overheating/runaway fan, no yellow lines or light bleeding, no WiFi slowdowns or connectivity issues, no problems resuming from standby, no crashes or lockups. Every single issue I've read about here my device does not have it. Batch 1435, impulse purchase from Microsoft kiosk at the mall (went there to get cologne, ended up with surface) a couple of weeks ago.

Battery life is at least 7 hours daily with normal to intensive use - web browsing, emails, Netflix, vpn connected into my office at times, Lightroom and Photoshop photo editing, etc.

Watch me jinx it, might start with issues any moment now :)

As context, I use a mac pro and a MacBook pro at home, and an iMac at the office. This is my first encounter with Windows 8 that I can tolerate. As much as I think it's atrocious on a desktop, it's outstanding on the surface, I much prefer it over an iPad.

The sp3 is exceeding my expectations in every single way.
Welcome to the club of those without problems!

ctitanic

Welcome to normal, not everyone is exceptional. :D

The silent majority must get frustrated not having gripes. :)
I would like to think that we are the minority of majority without issues that love to help the minority of those with issues.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine's been excellent too, had it 3.5 weeks now I use it for similar things to you and have now got addicted to inking notes on it.

I have had one issue with limited connectivity on the wifi, just once, and just now I had a document that didn't seem to want to upload from the document centre cause the fan to spin up... which is an unusual occurrence, but really it's been minor. I also don't have a yellow streak.. I do have a tiny bit of light bleed top right but it's not bad and I don't notice it on normal use.

Love my SP3!

cemian

or they can't find the forum due to limited wifi connectivity...haha sorry couldn't resist the urge :D

raqball

I do believe that the people with issues are in the minority. As has been stated happy owners don't generally seek out a forum unless they are super geeks. :)

For every complaint I'd bet there are 10 happy owners but you don't hear from them.

Also, there is nothing wrong being OCD with a product in this price range. Some purchased the i3 and used a student discount. In that case, the SP3 is very cheap and could be had for what $650? Now that price is pretty insane all things considered. Some however have purchased the i7 top dog and spent $1,950. That's is a huge price difference.

If I spent $650 on the Sp3 I'd be more likely to accept a minor flaw whereas if I spent almost 2K on it, it had better be 100% perfect and flaw free. That's me and some people are different. Some will expect, and rightfully so, the $650 version to be flawless.

I am in the OCD crowd and I expect my high end electronics to be flawless. I purchased an iPod recently to replace a broken one and there is a minor but obvious color flaw on it. In this case, I can care less about the flaw and don't OCD over it. It was a whopping $50 so I can care less. If the SP3 had a flaw, I would send it back without a 2nd thought.

I don't think there is anything wrong with being OCD when you are spending a large chunk of change on a product..

OP
M

mwilson

I am just as anal as most here, perhaps even more so, but this is a disposable product that I bet the majority won't have anymore in a couple of years, so why bother getting worked up over non-critical issues? I chose to focus on the things the surface does greatly and less so on others. Perhaps this is in an ironic way the reason my surface is free of problems.

kundas1

I am just as anal as most here, perhaps even more so, but this is a disposable product that I bet the majority won't have anymore in a couple of years, so why bother getting worked up over non-critical issues? I chose to focus on the things the surface does greatly and less so on others. Perhaps this is in an ironic way the reason my surface is free of problems.

because 99% of the time when people go to the next best gizmo, they sell their old gizmo first (SP3) and to be able to reap most of the money they need the old gizmo to be as mint as possible for higher resale value... so that's why most of us are OCD ;)