What's new

I seem to have bricked my SP3, solved but do i have a hibernate issue?

Sassi

hi
well I saw a few of you had hibernate on your power off menu so I looked up on google how to do it and used the group user window to add out to my menu. All good so far. Hibernate appears and I try it out. The screen goes black and now I can no longer get my surface to turn on. I've pressed the power button, held it in for ages, tried it plugged into power, nothing just a dead, black tablet :( any ideas guys on how to save it?

Lobo

Hi Sassi, please try the following:

1. Keep pushing the volume up and the power button at the same time for about 15 secs.
2. Release, wait another 10 secs and press the power button.

Please let us know if your device managed to boot up.

Zog1971

Yes, follow Lobo's advice. I've had to do this twice since owning my SP3. It is a little scary, but holding the volume and power for 15 seconds has brought my SP3 back to life both times and it has worked great after.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Thank you so much that worked :) I'm not sure why it happened, whether there's an issue with my hibernate or if it doesn't like using it from the menu or what. Very odd. Thank you so much guys

OP
Sassi

Sassi

I've removed hibernate from my menu options now I won't be using that again. On a side note I've had no trouble waking it after it's been off overnight. I get the surface screen appear so I assume it's hibernated - maybe it's shutdown... how do I tell the difference? The only issue I have is if I try to start it with the pen to open OneNote it doesn't open from hibernate and then it has to be opened manually and says there was a problem starting OneNote last time. Hmm not sure if this is an issue or not.

mennogreg

I have hibernate enabled on mine so I'm not certain that was the cause, perhaps it was just a coincidence or just didn't go into hibernation properly.

The SP3 is supposed to go from Connected Standby to Hibernation after 4 hours of (presumably) not using it; are any of your desktop apps (or if you swipe from the left, Modern apps) already open? That's when you know you awoke from hibernate as opposed to shutting down.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Thank you. Well I tried it once more before taking it off the menu and it froze again and wouldn't startup and I had to use the volume up to turn it on, so I definitely won't be trying it again and it is now removed, so it does seem to be what caused the issue. I usually shut all my programs down at night, but I'll leave some open tonight and see if they are still open in the morning to see if it does actually hibernate rather than shut down.
Thanks again for all the help.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does holding the volume buttons do that just holding the power button doesn't? I have had this a few times, and always when the keyboard has been attached overnight, and I just simply held power button like you would any other locked up tablet for about 15 seconds and it then proceeds to boot back up as normal

ctitanic

I have hibernate enabled on mine so I'm not certain that was the cause, perhaps it was just a coincidence or just didn't go into hibernation properly.

The SP3 is supposed to go from Connected Standby to Hibernation after 4 hours of (presumably) not using it; are any of your desktop apps (or if you swipe from the left, Modern apps) already open? That's when you know you awoke from hibernate as opposed to shutting down.
I use the hibernation option in the power button every day.

OP
Sassi

Sassi

I use the hibernation option in the power button every day.

Hmm, so the fact that both times I tried to use it froze my SP3 means I may have a problem? I'm loath to try it out again in case I can't get the Pro back afterwards, so I'm not really sure what to do to test it out. I'll see what happens in the morning after it's been asleep all night to see if it comes back OK, and I'll leave a couple of apps running to make sure it hibernates and doesn't shut down.

Liam2349

I've removed hibernate from my menu options now I won't be using that again. On a side note I've had no trouble waking it after it's been off overnight. I get the surface screen appear so I assume it's hibernated - maybe it's shutdown... how do I tell the difference? The only issue I have is if I try to start it with the pen to open OneNote it doesn't open from hibernate and then it has to be opened manually and says there was a problem starting OneNote last time. Hmm not sure if this is an issue or not.

Connected Standby devices such as Surface Pro 3 do not support hibernation unless you disable Connected Standby, so most likely it shuts down.