What's new

I still have some love for my iPad

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't use my Nexus 7 any more... I'm still like "WOW" every time I view content on the perfectly sized Surface screen. Having said that though if I was hiking up a mountain I'd prefer to take something smaller!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I still love my iPad (and hate it too). The app store is some much more robust. I also has a superior touch interface. I wish it had the power of my SP3.
In 4-5 years it might have the processing power of the todays SP3 but unless they vastly overhaul and upgrade the OS it will still be crippled. In the meantime Intel and MS keep marching on... and maybe one day MS will turn up their quality a notch.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still use my iPad as my tablet. Just the right size, long battery life, better browser and generally better as a tablet.
Well that's just wrong. IPad mobile Safari works on fewer sites than any browser out there. Between the sucky browser and the size its the entire reason for the platform and marketing focus on; "There's an App for that" because its the only way you can use it.

raqball

I've went through so many tablets in past it's ridiculous.. My family and friends are happy because they usually get them when I surrender.

Android tablets offer plenty of customization but many apps are not made for tablets which leaves you using a phone app on a large tablet.

iPad's have plenty of tablet apps but the UI is made for a 5-year-old to use and it's not customizable at all. I can change the wallpaper = whoop-de-doo..

The SP3 is easily the best tablet I have ever used and as an added bonus it's a laptop when needed..

Aurelio

Have you tried the Freda app? Works for me :)

I just tried now.... I created on folder in my documents, and when I open the epub I want in Freda, it says, Ready to Read, I tap on it, black screen appear with the loading dot's on the top, and that is it. Nothing happens!! :(

kristalsoldier

I've went through so many tablets in past it's ridiculous.. My family and friends are happy because they usually get them when I surrender.

Android tablets offer plenty of customization but many apps are not made for tablets which leaves you using a phone app on a large tablet.

iPad's have plenty of tablet apps but the UI is made for a 5-year-old to use and it's not customizable at all. I can change the wallpaper = whoop-de-doo..

The SP3 is easily the best tablet I have ever used and as an added bonus it's a laptop when needed..

Lol! I just updated to iOS 8 and the first thing I did was to change the wallpaper into a nice dark theme. It looks good. But I don't waste my time on anything else aside from the few apps that I use - and when I mean few, I really mean few, i.e., <5 apps - that's it!

kristalsoldier

I still use my iPad as my tablet. Just the right size, long battery life, better browser and generally better as a tablet.

Frankly, and with all due respect, the browser (Safari) sucks! I have Mercury Browser installed, which is a much superior browser, but comparatively, I prefer IE11 on my SP3. In my experience, the last is perhaps one of the best browsers I have used (and I am very partial to the MUI version of IE11).

daniielrp

My iPad mini still has some great uses:

Reading - it is much easier to hold for extended periods that the SP3.
Portability - I can literally fit it in a coat pocket, or large trouser pocket.
Apps - This is simply no contest - App Store winds hands down over the Windows Store.

The first two are no fault on the surface, the two devices simply serve different purposes. And give the store another three years and hopefully it'll have caught up.

Also while we are on the subject of browsers - Mobile Safari, or Chrome on iOS does some things much better than MUI IE - namely scroll bars (I cannot scroll a Google doc with mouse for example, but can with touch?), and menus where you would normally hover the mouse to see options - these simply don't work on MUI IE using touch, but do on iOS.

Kif

Superior touch?

Not in my opinion..

More intuitive and requires less gestures. Pinch to zoom seems off to me on Win 8.1. I also have issues selecting items to cut and paste in Windows 8.1. Maybe it's just me since I've been using iOS much longer.

daniielrp

More intuitive and requires less gestures. Pinch to zoom seems off to me on Win 8.1. I also have issues selecting items to cut and paste in Windows 8.1. Maybe it's just me since I've been using iOS much longer.

Plus the touch is implemented system wide on iOS (obviously). Using Explorer or similar desktop menus with your fingers is an abysmal experience.

tuchas

Many of the benefits of one device over another ring true. The SP3 has a better browser, it's a complete laptop replacement and has a fair amount of apps. But the iPad has the ecosystem of solid, quality apps that Modern Apps just does not have - yet. You could make the argument that you only need so many apps, but many of the apps on the iPad are just not available on Windows 8. Perhaps in time that will change, but I will continue to use my iPad for the apps I like best. Here's hoping most of those apps make there way to Windows 8 so I won't have to use both.