What's new

I still have some love for my iPad

daniielrp

I thought it was too big as well, then I went to see it in person and held it. It was VERY comfortable and not as gargantuan as I thought it would be. For me, this will take the place of my iPad mini. The Icon is also nice though. I believe it has almost the same specs with the exception of size and processor... Oh and Cortana. Does it have Cortana yet?

I had the pleasure of writing a review of the 1520 for work so got to take it home and use it as my own for a week or so. Totally agree with you about the feel - it is a big phone, no denying that, but having it in hand it is quite comfortable. Made me realise what the whole "phablet" thing was about.

Unfortunately the size wasn't right for me, so a 930 is in it's place. Which as you say is exactly the same except for the screen.

kristalsoldier

I looked at the 1520 and man that is one awesome phone.. It's way to big for me though. I went with the Icon and love it!

Yup...I am going to buy the L930 (which is the non-US version of the Icon) within 2 weeks. Can't wait! I think the 5" screen is the perfect size for me and I do like Win Phone 8.1.

InspectHerGadget

Which iPad has a longer life than the SP3? I have iPad 1 and Air and neither of them are as fast or last as long as my SP3's battery.

The Apple battery is notorious for a short HORRIBLE life. What I mean is, after about a year of use, it doesn't hold a charge for long at all. Same on my iPhone. I have to plug my phone and (had to) my iPad all the time because the battery would die so quickly.
You would have to be trolling for a reaction to say something so empty headed and so easily disproved. You can grab any number of reviews and see that for yourself. It isn't an opinion it is a clearly verifiable fact. The battery on the iPad Air lasts much longer than the SP3 and the gap widens if you start to play video.

The battery is one area where the SP3 is almost but not quite there. It really needs a 50% increase in battery life and more on video playback.

Next time think before you type and spare us your idiotic opinions.

raqball

You would have to be trolling for a reaction to say something so empty headed uite there.

Next time think before you type and spare us your idiotic opinions.

Why so rude? Your response was uncalled for in my opinion.

If you read what he said, it was clear to me he was saying that after a year or so of use, the battery does not do as well as it did when new..

No need for personal attacks and name calling..

InspectHerGadget

Why so rude? Your response was uncalled for in my opinion.

If you read what he said, it was clear to me he was saying that after a year or so of use, the battery does not do as well as it did when new..

No need for personal attacks and name calling..

I don't mind intelligent debate but espousing outright falsehoods. Lots of members here and fellow Surface users use all manner of devices and know our stuff.

wynand32

I use my iPad 3 primarily for DirecTV. I'm surprised that there's still no Windows 8.1 MUI app for DirecTV, but there you have it. Navigating the guide, finding movies to watch, etc., are all easier on the iPad than the DirecTV Genie interface. I also use it for some other media (e.g., TNT to watch Falling Skies) because sometimes an app is easier than the browser. But, there's really no other media that I just can't watch on the SP3, so I don't pull out the iPad 3 that often.

Otherwise, there's really nothing I'd rather do on the iPad than the SP3. For the times when I'd rather use a smaller tablet, I grab my Dell Venue 8 Pro. And, funny enough, I still use my Kindle Paperwhite extensively for reading; I much prefer reading on E-ink than on LCDs, especially late at night and at the beach.

As others have noted, there's a time and place for just about everything. As huge a fan as I am of the SP3, there are definitely some things missing that could make an iPad appealing. The DirecTV app is one example. If you like casual games, you'll definitely find more options on the iPad as well.

wynand32

The 1520 is an awesome phone. I carry mine in a belt case. It also has a phenomenal battery life.

I keep going back to that as an option, but every time I see it, it just seems too big to me. Looks like an awesome device, though, and absent any new Windows Phone flagships, I haven't discarded it. As much as I like my Lumia 925, the screen is just too small...

fonzman78

You guys have Windows phones? That's seriously hardcore! :D

Lol!! For me, the whole Windows ecosystem is the best. So, yup, I am all in with Windows. Windows Surface, Windows 8.1 gaming desktop, and Windows HTC 8x phone. Office 2013 on all devices so I can access any Note, Doc, Excel, etc from any device. OneDrive is on all devices to storing and retrieving files is simple. Xbox music gives me music on all of them. HARDCORE!! (anyone else?)

Does it get any better??

My Verizon upgrade is in Nov so trying to decide between Icon, M8, or 1520. But, that's for another forum. :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup...I am going to buy the L930 (which is the non-US version of the Icon) within 2 weeks. Can't wait! I think the 5" screen is the perfect size for me and I do like Win Phone 8.1.
I'm probably buying a 930 too soon. I tried a Nokia 635 as an experiment in win 8.1phone and was very impressed with the look, feel and performance of the interface compared to android. I didn't expect to like it so much.