What's new

I think Microsoft stole $1000 from me

macmee

They put a hold on my account for $1000 for an advanced exchange 2 months ago now.

They have had the tablet I sent back now for a month and a half and they've yet to remove the $1000 hold on my credit card.

I do not like saying they stole it from me, but every time I try to contact Microsoft, they refuse to let me speak to people in the billing department and just say "please be patient, it may take some time". I'm tired of them giving me a runaround on this. It's been 2 months and I am beginning to think I'll never get my money back. It feels like they have me by the balls and I can't do anything about it.

Called my credit card company and they say it's ridiculous that Microsoft has been taking so long, but all they can do is "open a complaint" which they've done, but that ultimately they can't force Microsoft to give me my money back.

Is there anything I can do? Is there any way for me to get the $1000 of mine that they refuse to give me back after 2 months?

Deckyon

All you can do is contact Microsoft. Or, have a lawyer contact Microsoft, which may end up costing more in the end. Just call the support number and 0 out and request billing.

kundas1

What about BBB or consumer protection? They might help... Also 2 months to reimburse is kinda BEYOND patient. . Get on the phone and don't take no for an answer! Tell the CSR that your not asking, your TELLING HIM to transfer you to whatever dept you feel is necessary. ..

Jeffrey

They don't actually have your $1000. But they are holding $1000. of your credit line. I worked for a very large corporation and most the size of MS have an Office Of The President as my company has.
The purpose is to make the big guys aware of an issue that is not being resolved. Find out if MS has one and I'm sure you will get the results you are looking for. Good luck.

OP
macmee

macmee

What about BBB or consumer protection? They might help... Also 2 months to reimburse is kinda BEYOND patient. . Get on the phone and don't take no for an answer! Tell the CSR that your not asking, your TELLING HIM to transfer you to whatever dept you feel is necessary. ..

I literally feel hopeless, I can't get in touch with anyone at Microsoft. They just keep saying they will "investigate and contact me back" but then they never do.

They don't actually have your $1000. But they are holding $1000. of your credit line. I worked for a very large corporation and most the size of MS have an Office Of The President as my company has.
The purpose is to make the big guys aware of an issue that is not being resolved. Find out if MS has one and I'm sure you will get the results you are looking for. Good luck.

On my statement it shows up like a normal charge. Also in billing.microsoft.com:

Screen_Shot_2014-04-15_at_4.41.15_PM-20140415-165023.png

I am confused as to why it shows up as 2 charges. Normally isn't ($) a credit? They have the same date, 2 months ago and I never got that credit back. It looks like they charged me, credited me 2 months ago at the same time, but I never actually received the credit.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I literally feel hopeless, I can't get in touch with anyone at Microsoft. They just keep saying they will "investigate and contact me back" but then they never do.

On my statement it shows up like a normal charge. Also in billing.microsoft.com:

View attachment 1988

I am confused as to why it shows up as 2 charges. Normally isn't ($) a credit? They have the same date, 2 months ago and I never got that credit back. It looks like they charged me, credited me 2 months ago at the same time, but I never actually received the credit.

Anything in brackets (in accounting parlance) is considered to be a negative. So, based on what you have posted, it appears that while they did charge you, they also cancelled the charge. Can your CC company confirm that your credit limit is where it should be after it has been adjusted for other charges/ payments that you may have incurred/ made?

OP
macmee

macmee

I just spoke to someone at Microsoft who told me they just received the Surface back on April 11th (so it took 1 month and a half to ship and for them to get it?)

She said she is highly surprised and doesn't understand what happened, but that I'm set to get the refund within 2 weeks.

I don't think she lied, but I'm not buying it. I'm going to contact UPS and ask them if it took 1 month and a half when they told me it would take 3-5 days.

I'm VERY worried now, because I need to exchange my broken touch cover (it randomly stops getting input and I have to unhook/hook it back in) and I don't want to wait 3 months for that exchange either.

Such a mess :(

OP
macmee

macmee

Anything in brackets (in accounting parlance) is considered to be a negative. So, based on what you have posted, it appears that while they did charge you, they also cancelled the charge. Can your CC company confirm that your credit limit is where it should be after it has been adjusted for other charges/ payments that you may have incurred/ made?

I was not credited back. This is what their holds are supposed to look like. Both these transactions were issued on the same date at the same time (2 months ago). 100% can confirm I didn't get credit back, as my credit card told me so today, and they also filed a complaint about it to Microsoft.

OP
macmee

macmee

Hope you have the tracking number to see where the box was during transit.

No. I need to go to the UPS store and ask them to look it up for me.

edit: but unless they took the China route from Canada -> China -> Canada I have a hard time believing it took 2 months.

Last edited: