What's new

I want to love my Surface Pro 3

Cody

I bought my SP3 a few weeks after launch. I have the 128gb I5 model, and I've added a 64gb chip to get a little more space out of it. Shortly after opening my device I noticed that the screen was improperly glued/adhered to the unit at the top. I took it back the next day and the people at Best buy agreed and replaced it on the spot. I had no major issues until last month.

My SP3 became extremely hot one day during normal web browsing. I utilize the mini display port and have a USB hub hooked up to replace my desktop. I still dont know what happened, but my SP3 was fried. My hub/keyboard/mouse were also fried and I had to replace everything. I took my SP3 back to best buy once again. I'm definitely glad I purchased the accidental damage warranty. They replaced it on the spot again thankfully.

Now i'm trying to incorporate it into my daily life as a college student. I rarely use it without it being plugged in, but about once a week or so I let it run down to 10% battery life. Last night I fully charged my device and unplugged it in the morning. I still use a touch cover 2, as I'm unable to afford the new cover at the moment. I notice this constantly brings my SP3 in and out of sleep mode which is painfully annoying. I didnt actually use my SP3 in class until 11 a.m. It had somehow drained down to 65% battery life. I started using my device and it quickly drained to 40% after 45 minutes of use on a single webpage that I was simply reading answers off of (I was not browsing 10s or 100s of pages). (Note: I have virtually no background applications running, and maintain my on battery brightness at 40% or less)

My next class was a lecture and I decided to take notes on my SP3 using the stylus. I turned my brightness down to 35% and shut off wifi. My SP3 did not even make it 30 minutes into the class period before it shut down. I want to love this device. I want it to be the great purchase I thought it would be. I even transitioned to the Lumia Icon phone because I thought it would work well with my SP3. I am unbelievably disappointed with both purchases and can't help but think how much greater I'd feel about my devices if I had just purchased a moderately priced HP laptop and an LG G2.

Side note: My fan has been running louder than usual and much more often. It hasn't risen above 72 degrees in Iowa for the last few weeks so I find that odd. I also haven't been running intense applications. To be honest I haven't installed any applications to my SP3 since I had it replaced two weeks ago except chrome.

Aegeas

Are you completely updated? Have you installed the latest Intel drivers?
You know about the Chrome bug, right? The one where it wakes your device constantly to look for input and consumes 30% more battery than any other browsert? It is any laptop with Chrome on it.

I can go all day with mine and even watch Breaking Bad episodes for hours before I kill the battery. My average battery life is around 9 hours. I have the i7 and I do have the new video drivers and they give a nice increase in battery duration. This is subjective as I only have my experience from watching video to back it up.

qwertyy

My next class was a lecture and I decided to take notes on my SP3 using the stylus. I turned my brightness down to 35% and shut off wifi. My SP3 did not even make it 30 minutes into the class period before it shut down.

Your device definitely has some problems. Definitely send it back to MS while it's on warranty.