What's new

I went in to the MS store expecting to upgrade to the SP4...

SRVwannab

I have loved my SP3 and sold it in anticipation of getting the SP4. In the meantime, I found a S3 w/ LTE that was for sale locally-at a great price- and bought it. I already have the latest, greatest 15" MBPro- as even thought it might be a little controversial- music, photos and videos are more easily handled for me in the Mac world.

For me, the absolutely game charger is inking. Love it. Can't live without it. Can't do it (at least not yet) anywhere near as well on any other platform. As such, I was pleasantly surprised to find that inking is just as easy on the S3 as it is on the SP3. The smaller form factor is also awesome, making the "tablet" side of the S3 actually more usable for me than it was on the SP3.

Now, the SP4. First, there are NO compromises between the SP4 keyboard and any notebook keyboard. It is that good. The display is indeed gorgeous. With all of that said... inking with OneNote was for me, the same. Oh, let me mention- they added a flat side to the new pen! :(. I'm really guessing it's only me, but- I didn't like the feel of the pen- at all. In terms of hardware, etc.- the SP4 is pretty freaking amazing.

I think I've decided to keep using my Surface 3. For what I use it for, it is pretty close to perfect. :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in a similar boat. I worked over the summer to pay for any model sp4, yet I'm sat with both my sp3 and s3, and thinking that while slow as a pig, the S3 really is the best choice for uni (i just have to remember not to think I can get away with a system update in a break between class like I was able to on the sp3)

I'm interested to see what the new pen and ink feel is like, but as far as the last pen goes, it works just fine, I see no reason for that to be an upgrade reason (i know why they have done it, but having the pen mount to the left side of the sp4 to be utter craps. I'm right handed so mounting on the left is just pointless. I will wait to see how things pan out but have been very much considering sellinng the sp3 for a book, and keeping the s3 for inking. Or maybe I'll just forego a new upgrade entirely and buy a new watch instead.

I only wish that the battery would hold out longer, like an actual tablet... although the S3 is definitely much slower than most of the SP3 and SP4 options I actually did make the transition, only to return the SP4 in less than a week and beg for my S3 back... then to have to reload everything on a new one, what a pain. My issue was not necessarily the pen (although I do like the S3 pen better for feel, but the top eraser rather that the button was nice) it was the sheer size. Although a great laptop experience (true Laptop) and awesome keyboard, it was just too awkward to carry while reading and as a student much of what I do is reading... but when it comes time to type the larger screen was nice but could not justify the awkwardness of it when using as a tablet. Maybe when out of school (I take night classes going back for a masters) I will try again and then it may be lighter. That being said, I don't know what I ever did without e-ink!!

kojack

Maybe its because I never owned a sp3/4. But we don't feel our S3s are slow at all. They work great. The form factor is great for traveling, add in the dock, keyboard and pen and the S3 is damn near perfect for every form of computing. Except maybe looking like a knob at the local starbucks. Apple has that one covered!

Maybe its because I never owned a sp3/4. But we don't feel our S3s are slow at all. They work great. The form factor is great for traveling, add in the dock, keyboard and pen and the S3 is damn near perfect for every form of computing. Except maybe looking like a knob at the local starbucks. Apple has that one covered!
I love the S3 but there is a definite lag...not enough to justify the jump in costs though for the pro version...but enough to notice at times...but for what I need it for this is the perfect machine

Turbo4AWD

I love the S3 but there is a definite lag...not enough to justify the jump in costs though for the pro version...but enough to notice at times...but for what I need it for this is the perfect machine

Even with the Cumulative update AND the latest firmware? I have found a speed and responsiveness increase with the Cumulative update. In fact, reliability has improved with the firmware updates.... for my Surface 3 anyway... but I was only trying to replace my iPad with the Surface 3. Not a full blown laptop. It does well in surpassing the iPad in performance and functionality. I no longer get that "Not available on this device" message on YouTube or other sites that water down the experience when the site finds out you are using an iPad to access the site.