What's new

I5 neccesary ?

madde90

Hiho,
I'm new here and I have a question:
Next week I want to buy the sp3 with i3 but I don't know if its enough for especially cs:go and world of Warcraft.
I'm studying pharmacy in Germany and I think i3 is enough for office and annotating etc.
I just want to know, if anyone has already tried cs:go on i3 an can tell me how it's working. Benchmarks aren't interesting for me.

Thanks a lot guys / girls !

kundas1

no def not! you will be better to go with the i5 model if you intend to do ANY GAMING.. also what is cs:go? is it a game? is it an app?

OP
M

madde90

Counterstrike global offense is a game. But so many people write about throttling their CPU to the same MHz like i3.

daniielrp

Considering there is no graphical hardware improvement between the i3 and i5, I'm not sure how you benefit from a simple processor upgrade. Couple more fps? Possibly.

But games normally need space, and memory, so getting the i3 which is limited in both would be my main concern rather than the processor.

msolok

Counterstrike global offense is a game. But so many people write about throttling their CPU to the same MHz like i3.
There was an issue with the firmware at launch that caused the surface to incorrectly report as overheating. This has been fixed in a firmware update.

All the CPU's in the SP3 throttle in order to reduce heat. This is simply something that all processors will do. But MHz is not the only, or even the best, measure of avCPUs performance. Other things come in to it as well.

Also, for games you also need to consider the GPU in the device. The i3 models have the Intel HD 4200, the i5 has the Intel HD 4400, and the i7 has the Intel HD 5000. The HD4400 and HD5000 are better for gaming than the HD4200. Couple that with 8GB of RAM in the higher spec i5 and you are about where you want to be.

Take a look at the below links to see benchmarks of the HD4200 and HD4400. Looking specifically at WOW and CS it's clear the HD4400 has a significant advantage.

Hd4200: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4200.93336.0.html
Hd4400: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4400.91979.0.html

Last edited:
OP
M

madde90

But has anyone of you tried it with your i3 sp3? Sometimes it runs really good like those tests of anandtech (or something like that). There it goes really good for dota 2. Its just the question how many fps there will be between i3 and i5. Probably if i3 has hopefully 30 fps at lowest settings, the game would be playable! Just because i5 has than more than 30 fps its for me no reason to spend 200 euro more. So you know what my reason are for the threat ?

I'm just looking for a person who own a i3 and tried playing cs:go . those speculations cannot be as helpfully like real experience .

Thanks so far, hopefully someone has already tried it ^^

msolok

Take a look at the below links which give benchmarks of the HD 4200
Considering there is no graphical hardware improvement between the i3 and i5, I'm not sure how you benefit from a simple processor upgrade. Couple more fps? Possibly.

But games normally need space, and memory, so getting the i3 which is limited in both would be my main concern rather than the processor.
there is differences with the Graphics chip on the i3 vs the i5. The Intel i series of chips are in fact 'Systems on a chip', meaning they include both a CPU part and a GPU part on the one board. This results in better speed and communication between the 2 components, which is what has helped Intel vastly improve their on board video performance of late.
The i3 series of chip used in the SP3's has the HD4200 GPU, and the i5's have the HD4400 GPU. The 4400 is a much better GPU.

OP
M

madde90

Take a look at the below links which give benchmarks of the HD 4200

there is differences with the Graphics chip on the i3 vs the i5. The Intel i series of chips are in fact 'Systems on a chip', meaning they include both a CPU part and a GPU part on the one board. This results in better speed and communication between the 2 components, which is what has helped Intel vastly improve their on board video performance of late.
The i3 series of chip used in the SP3's has the HD4200 GPU, and the i5's have the HD4400 GPU. The 4400 is a much better GPU.
I think we write our posts at the same time. Its not the question of "which of both has more power" .
Better is: "would it be possible to play cs:go on i3 or is it so horrible (less than 15 to 20 fps) to play that I need the i5 version."

msolok

I'm just looking for a person who own a i3 and tried playing cs:go . those speculations cannot be as helpfully like real experience .

What speculation? Those where live benchmarks run in game by someone at some stage. I doubt that they where done with a SP3, but the hardware is still the same so the baseline is the same (maybe take a couple of FPS off each and you should have a good idea). The i5 with HD4400 will outperform the i3 in the games you want, and by a considerable margin.

I would also suggest thinking of the future. Getting the very base you need now (so it only just meets your current requirements) might lead to a reduced life of your SP3 and an early upgrade. The small extra price of the i5 might be well justified if you are likely to want to play other games down the track.

msolok

I think we write our posts at the same time. Its not the question of "which of both has more power" .
Better is: "would it be possible to play cs:go on i3 or is it so horrible (less than 15 to 20 fps) to play that I need the i5 version."

See the links. It is certainly possible to play your games on the i3 version, but it will be much smoother and more enjoyable on the i5. I would also expect the i5 to be more future proof, with the i3 being far less capable.

Philo

I play CS GO too, actually a pro player mind you :) (Global Elite - Lanner)

GPU doesn't matter much, Source engine is more CPU intensive, so i5 would be better, I could give it a try later today, I figure we can get around 100fps on a decent resolution above with medium-ish settings. But bare in mind, running that much fps can defo heat up your tablet, plus CS GO is a game to run at over 200fps to fully enjoy it. Please before people complain that eyes can't see the difference between anything above 60fps, you can feel the movement is different and as a gamer who plays on a 144hz monitor, you can :D