What's new

I5 neccesary ?

Liam2349

I play CS GO too, actually a pro player mind you :) (Global Elite - Lanner)

GPU doesn't matter much, Source engine is more CPU intensive, so i5 would be better, I could give it a try later today, I figure we can get around 100fps on a decent resolution above with medium-ish settings. But bare in mind, running that much fps can defo heat up your tablet, plus CS GO is a game to run at over 200fps to fully enjoy it. Please before people complain that eyes can't see the difference between anything above 60fps, you can feel the movement is different and as a gamer who plays on a 144hz monitor, you can :D

On a 144Hz monitor at 144FPS, you will benefit over a 60Hz monitor at 60FPS in several ways. However, playing at 200FPS on a maximum of 60Hz Surface Pro 3 is completely pointless - a waste of power.

Philo

On a 144Hz monitor at 144FPS, you will benefit over a 60Hz monitor at 60FPS in several ways. However, playing at 200FPS on a maximum of 60Hz Surface Pro 3 is completely pointless - a waste of power.

Not true, maybe I should have quoted before playing competitively, I used to play on 60fps monitor, a Viewsonic one before upgrading to a BenQ one and you can feel the difference in 'movement'. It's not just the eyes, its the movement in the game with your mouse etc, everything is just smoother.

Liam2349

Not true, maybe I should have quoted before playing competitively, I used to play on 60fps monitor, a Viewsonic one before upgrading to a BenQ one and you can feel the difference in 'movement'. It's not just the eyes, its the movement in the game with your mouse etc, everything is just smoother.

Everything is smoother if your monitor can refresh at 200Hz, but running 200FPS on a 60Hz monitor is pointless as your monitor can still only refresh 60 times per second so can still only display 60 of those frames, wasting the other 140.

What's more, Source Engine is terribly prone to screen tearing and as 200 is not a multiple of 60, you will encounter screen tearing unless you limit the game to 60FPS. I can't play Source Engine games without triple buffering as the screen tearing is so bad.

Philo

Everything is smoother if your monitor can refresh at 200Hz, but running 200FPS on a 60Hz monitor is pointless as your monitor can still only refresh 60 times per second so can still only display 60 of those frames, wasting the other 140.

What's more, Source Engine is terribly prone to screen tearing and as 200 is not a multiple of 60, you will encounter screen tearing unless you limit the game to 60FPS. I can't play Source Engine games without triple buffering as the screen tearing is so bad.

NO it isn't, I had enough with these theory base answers, yes in theory you're right, but I can say many and many people agree that running CS GO higher than 200fps on a 60 display is a huge difference in movement both for mouse, keyboard and players than at 60fps. I've been playing with games, tinkering and overclocking my displays, I think I know a fair amount of more information than you.

Not to mention I run CS GO at 400fps + on a 144hz and it feels laggy at 200fps, many pro players can vouch that, HLTV.org for example. That last part is just terrible, there are HARDLY any screen tearing, hence many professional players run higher than the default display monitor and I don't know what source game you've been playing but I've always played 3-4x more fps than my monitor without screen tearing, not to mention it was more fun at this fps.

grumpy

Hiho,
I'm new here and I have a question:
Next week I want to buy the sp3 with i3 but I don't know if its enough for especially cs:go and world of Warcraft.
I'm studying pharmacy in Germany and I think i3 is enough for office and annotating etc.
I just want to know, if anyone has already tried cs:go on i3 an can tell me how it's working. Benchmarks aren't interesting for me.

Thanks a lot guys / girls !
If you are interested in gaming on a Surface, you will likely be much happier with the SP2 (if you don't mind the aspect ratio). It has the same CPU/GPU as the i5 SP3, but the SP2 has a superior thermal design so it won't throttle nearly as much as the SP3. Also, the SP2 can be had relatively cheap.

Liam2349

NO it isn't, I had enough with these theory base answers, yes in theory you're right, but I can say many and many people agree that running CS GO higher than 200fps on a 60 display is a huge difference in movement both for mouse, keyboard and players than at 60fps. I've been playing with games, tinkering and overclocking my displays, I think I know a fair amount of more information than you.

Not to mention I run CS GO at 400fps + on a 144hz and it feels laggy at 200fps, many pro players can vouch that, HLTV.org for example. That last part is just terrible, there are HARDLY any screen tearing, hence many professional players run higher than the default display monitor and I don't know what source game you've been playing but I've always played 3-4x more fps than my monitor without screen tearing, not to mention it was more fun at this fps.

A higher frame rate will reduce input lag, but I don't see how you could ever notice if your monitor is bottlenecking you. So let's say you have your 400FPS on 144Hz monitor, you will have less input lag than if you were at 200FPS. However, since your monitor can only output one frame per refresh, which will always be a maximum of 144FPS, you can't see the result of this input lag reduction.

You can't notice the reduced input lag because your monitor isn't giving you any more information. Your brain has no additional information to process, so the result of your reflexes cannot change. If you think they do, I would conclude it to be a placebo effect.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Given the OPs primary use case is school work and note taking I believe you've over beat the game angle to smithereens and beyond. :eek: