What's new

i5 SB vs i7 SB for gaming?

BearFlag

I was really impressed with the i5 TBH. Diablo 3 1920 x 1080 med/high settings 45-55 FPS, Heroes Of The Storm runs nice @ 1920 x 1200 Frame wise @ med/high settings.

In the back of my head, though, I had the same question: Would a few hundred Mhz and 1 MB L3 cache REALLY make a difference? About that time I started having a few issues with the i5 SB. . . so I in a bizarre twist of insanity, when I exchanged I traded up to the i7 256 GB

With identical settings, the i7 gets about 10-15 more FPS average in Diablo 3. 15-20 in Heroes Of The Storm. Given the seemingly paltry differences between the two, I was actually rather impressed. YMMV based on game title and optimization, but there is *DEFINITELY* a noticeable imprevement

TL/DR: If you value performance over battery life, the i7 is well worth the extra cash.

I have the i5 and am getting the same fps on those games as you initially mentioned. I would have never imagined gaining 15-20fps better performance by simply upgrading to the i7 version. I thought besides the clock speed and a few minor specs the i5 vs i7 aren't that much different: ARK | Compare Intel® Products

OP
MOFO

MOFO

To tell you the truth so I did too, I guess the extra m cache and slightly faster CPU does make a difference.
That's it I ordered the i7 and saved 10% with the student discount . :)

flar

Did the i5 have the dGPU? And/or could it have been that the i5 had a defective dGPU and so it wasn't used?

When I first got my i7/dGPU I noticed that D3 would vary by about 15 fps or so and further investigation showed that sometimes my dGPU was not being detected/used in the cases when it was slower...

Seneleron

I would have never imagined gaining 15-20fps better performance by simply upgrading to the i7 version.

Honestly, I didn't either. I figured 5 FPS *TOPS*. I figured since I was returning everything in sight I may as well sate my curiosity, and I was shocked as heck. Since then I've tweaked my settings, disabling AA, dropping shadows to medium not smooth [D3] and been able to push above 1080. Strangely, if I don't keep it at 16:9 aspect ratio I lose about 10 FPS [1920 x 1200 vs 1920 x 1080]

With an external monitor, I can push 2560 x 1440 with my same settings and get 38-55 FPS .. which isn't too shabby. Haven't tried that setting with the clipboard, as my keyboard dropped out after about 30 minutes and I had to restart to get it back >.>

All 3 machines did it. I don't know why, I'm guessing it's something in the code? /shrug

Also, regarding cooling: a cooling PAD will not really help. It may cool the GPU in the base, but I've never seen it go over 71c [HoTS]. I *HAVE* used a small USB powered fan and just pointed it at the clipboard part during handbrake transcodes, and it dropped about 10c [86c down to 75~76c]

Did the i5 have the dGPU? And/or could it have been that the i5 had a defective dGPU and so it wasn't used?

i5 had the Nvidia GPU, and it was being used. No other way for the base to generate that much heat. Also, from my experience with the SP4, integrated will only push 1280 x 720 / 1440 x 900 depending on settings.

OP
MOFO

MOFO

Just got my SB and so far it's been amazing, did all the W10 updates and they actually went pretty quick.
Any other hardware driver updates I should do?
Anyway to update the nVidia GPU drivers manually? Insalled GeoForce experience and is says my drivers are up to date when I know there are are ( currently on 354.something or other) would love to be able to use GeoForce experience to easily check for updates and install, anyone get this working?
Display is stunning and so far everything works flawlessly.
Thanks

Last edited:

Seneleron

there is a way, but you'll have to use your google fu. it involves a modded .ini to add the sb card to the list.

I haven't attempted yet.

OP
MOFO

MOFO

Just wondering when and how far between GPU updates MS will give us, little bit ticked off that a nVidia GPU is restricted in this way.
Saying that I have yet to run into any problems but just would like to have the option of updating myself and not handcuffed by MS.

Seneleron

Surface Book: How to install updated NVIDIA drivers • /r/Surface

Found the link for ya. Involves modding an .inf file with an easy to use tool and then rebooting [disabling driver signature enforcement]. APPARENTLY once you've manually installed one driver, the future updates will allegedly install just fine.
Currently installed: driver date 12/16/15, ver 361.43.

Briefly tested out with Diablo 3 to see what if any difference I got, and I have to agree with the redit thread: Frames are a LOT more consistent. Before I'd get a lot of fluctuation between 60 and about 45 FPS at 1920 x 1080 with high settings, no AA and shadows medium (not smooth) VSYNC on. I'd ALSO get a bit of fluctuation depending on the area I was in [certain acts cap at 60, some briefly touch 60 and stay in the mid 50s with no combat]

That was with the old drivers. Now it seems all acts stay capped at 60, and while there's still some fluctuation when you get into heavy action, it stayed very consistently HIGHER [as in, at or near 60]

I still got drops, one group of elites with cold + ability spam still dropped me to a solid 47 FPS..stayed there until the cold went away, and then spiked right back to 60. I call that fair, I mean. . the GPU isn't a GTX980. Will continue to test, and if I find anything else noteworthy I'll pass it along.

OH! Almost forgot. I only played about 10 minutes worth, but I noticed that both the clipboard AND THE BASE were what I would call "barely even warm". I'm talking just warm enough to notice a distinction. Gonna have to push it for awhile and see how long it takes to warm it up, but I'm used to the CPU at least warming up fairly quickly. Full disclosure, it IS in the mid 60 degree range in my office this morning, but still...

Last edited:
OP
MOFO

MOFO

Nice and thanks!
Reading further down the post its says modding the .inf files is not required anymore do I just disable driver signature verification and install drivers directly from nVidia?

Lol. Mid 60s.. Hawaii's weather means home temp is around 78deg and office is 74. Maybe that's why my Surface is always warm. Everybody on the mainland is dealing with temps in home about 15deg cooler on average.

Seneleron

Lol. Mid 60s.. Hawaii's weather means home temp is around 78deg and office is 74

It hit 80 here yesterday [North Central TX] before the weather hit.

As an added update, Diablo 3 Rifting hit the system a lot harder, was dipping down into the 35 FPS range, but it was a HUGE map and a Treasure Goblin one on top of it. At no time did it feel like it was stuttering or slowing down.

Also, the drivers seem to have fixed the locked to 15 FPS issue, as I'm now getting 37-45 without melting the back of the clipboard clean off :D Somehow, it still feels stuttery or off. . . but I haven't had much of an opportunity to mess with it. I took an unfortunate mega nerf dart to the eye
during Nerf Wars with the family today, had to take five and take a nap ;)

[Pro tip: always wear safety glasses when going to nerf war!]

Last edited:
OP
MOFO

MOFO

Tried that method of updating drivers and it's a no go, every time it says drivers are not compatible with your system.Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Is there a step by step guide on how to do it?
Never modded .inf files or anything since other times it was just a direct download, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks