What's new

Solved i5 users with XTU

Cothek

Every screenshot has one thing in common: Graphics Frequency 599 MHz...

Actually what you are seeing is the instantaneous frequency when the screenshot was taken which was most likely at idle (599MHz). If you look at the graphs it's clear that the i5's see freq's well over 600 while the i7 does not.

OP
M

megatronium

Actually what you are seeing is the instantaneous frequency when the screenshot was taken which was most likely at idle (599MHz). If you look at the graphs it's clear that the i5's see freq's well over 600 while the i7 does not.

My i7 gets over 599 also. The max frequency is 5000 according to XTU. I've seen my frequency get past 1200. Doesn't explain why a stress test doesn't max the frequency like the cpu test does.

My thoughts: the cpu gets preferential treatment over the gpu since they are the same chip (?).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My i7 gets over 599 also. The max frequency is 5000 according to XTU. I've seen my frequency get past 1200. Doesn't explain why a stress test doesn't max the frequency like the cpu test does.

My thoughts: the cpu gets preferential treatment over the gpu since they are the same chip (?).
No idea what myth XTU is trying to promote. The published specs for the Intel HD Graphics 4400 in the i5 and 5000 in the i7 state the max graphics cook rate is 1.1 GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/75114/Intel-Core-i7-4650U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

Cothek

Not really sure what you mean here. The max clock of the i7 CPU is 3.3GHz and the max clock of the i7 GPU is 1.1GHz. Unless you are overcloking, your GPU never got to 1.2GHz unless you mean CPU. The issue is that the i7 GPU never seems to run higher than 599MHz.

No idea what myth XTU is trying to promote. The published specs for the Intel HD Graphics 4400 in the i5 and 5000 in the i7 state the max graphics cook rate is 1.1 GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/75114/Intel-Core-i7-4650U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

XTU is not promoting any myths, just reporting the info. Some may be getting that info mixed up and therefore creating myths. XTU does a pretty good job of showing us what is going on under the hood.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not really sure what you mean here. The max clock of the i7 CPU is 3.3GHz and the max clock of the i7 GPU is 1.1GHz. Unless you are overcloking, your GPU never got to 1.2GHz unless you mean CPU. The issue is that the i7 GPU never seems to run higher than 599MHz.

XTU is not promoting any myths, just reporting the info. Some may be getting that info mixed up and therefore creating myths. XTU does a pretty good job of showing us what is going on under the hood.
Ive seen XTU indicate max GPU Frequently of 5000 before. I'd assume its miss detected something and is reporting an internal max value. The Mythical 5000 MHZ or maybe that's 5000 GHz GPU. :)

OP
M

megatronium

OK so running Premiere with OpenCL rendering got my GPU freq. cconsistently above 948. I had my gfx freq limited using a profile somebody else posted. My i7 is fine :)

Did anyone ever get an answer as to why it seems impossible to force the i7's HD5000 GPU higher than 599Mhz under any circumstances? I've briefly had an i5 previously and can confirm it easily goes above 1000Mhz before throttling kicks in. The i7's GPU seems pegged at 599, and it's downhill from there with throttling. Is this as designed for some reason or a really bad defect of the i7 models?

OP
M

megatronium

Did anyone ever get an answer as to why it seems impossible to force the i7's HD5000 GPU higher than 599Mhz under any circumstances? I've briefly had an i5 previously and can confirm it easily goes above 1000Mhz before throttling kicks in. The i7's GPU seems pegged at 599, and it's downhill from there with throttling. Is this as designed for some reason or a really bad defect of the i7 models?

My previous post says that it goes above 978 consistently. If you downloaded a profile that has the gfx multiplier set or limited that's the reason why. heck your Processor Graphics Ratio Limit...

I have installed no other profiles in XTU whatsoever...and sorry I missed that in your previous post!

If there was no profile downloaded, loaded, or modified in XTU, then I guess I'm still stumped. For the record, I've had 3 i7's now (2 were returned for other reasons)...they've all been pegged around 599, I just thought it was normal until I started seeing some posts about it, and the i5 I had (also returned) which went >1000Mhz.

Just did a refresh of the system (kind of a pain in the ass, that...lot of work to complete the restore, but not as bad as a full reinstall I guess).

Same results...got 648Mhz for about a half a second a couple times, but still 599 or worse.

Defective machine then?

Cothek

Just did a refresh of the system (kind of a pain in the ass, that...lot of work to complete the restore, but not as bad as a full reinstall I guess).

Same results...got 648Mhz for about a half a second a couple times, but still 599 or worse.

Defective machine then?

I am seeing the same issue. Only in 3d mark will my GPU go above 599 but only for a short burst. I started a thread on the MS help forum. You should post your concern there.