What's new

i7 appears to be shipping

OP
J

jbowden

One manual way would be to run a game and check FPS and Temp. I suspect you would see a drop in FPS when throttling kicked in. It would be nice to run same test on i5 to get a benchmark.

Knuck

One manual way would be to run a game and check FPS and Temp. I suspect you would see a drop in FPS when throttling kicked in. It would be nice to run same test on i5 to get a benchmark.

Based on my testing of the performance of the i5 I would expect the i7 to exhibit significant throttling until the fan kicks in. Once on, the fan lowers temperature significantly resulting in the i5 operating below throttling temps during my stress tests. The problem is that there are no threshold controls for when the fan comes on and how long it stays on. The result is that the fan kicks in, imho, later than it should resulting in unnecessary throttling and decrease in performance, probably because Microsoft want to claim the SP3 is a quiet machine. Once temps cool to a level where the fan turns off temps quickly rise and the throttling issue repeats. If we had the option to turn the fan on indefinitely and at lower temps during high intensity tasks then performance would be greatly improved.

So, has anyone received shipping confirmation yet? I see a pending charge on my CC, but nothing beyond that. I was just curious since I pre-ordered the first morning they opened it up.

I have two plane trips coming up in August, and I'm very much looking forward to using this. It WILL replace my circa 2006 Dell Inspiron...

megatronium

So, has anyone received shipping confirmation yet? I see a pending charge on my CC, but nothing beyond that. I was just curious since I pre-ordered the first morning they opened it up.

I have two plane trips coming up in August, and I'm very much looking forward to using this. It WILL replace my circa 2006 Dell Inspiron...

No shipping confirmation yet for me.

HJR

Not yet. And Card still pending the charge. I am not holding my breath for Friday delivery.

kozak79

My charge for an i7 SP3 appeared yesterday under pending transaction on my AMEX. I guess it won't be processed until it ships. Hopefully it ships soon, I'd love to have it by the weekend and not wait till Monday.

bluegrass

I received a phone call and an email from the local Microsoft store that I can come in Friday morning for some free food, swag, & my SP3 i7 (for from free). Cool. I'll have it to check out over the weekend.

tonypitt

I received a tracking number from MS online store. Couldn't tell arrival from that number because tracking system said hadn't actually shipped. Received an email from UPS that said I should have it Friday 10:15-2:15.

I received a tracking number from MS online store. Couldn't tell arrival from that number because tracking system said hadn't actually shipped. Received an email from UPS that said I should have it Friday 10:15-2:15.
Same here, minus the email from UPS. Can't wait!