What's new

i7 benchmarks & tests

Knuck

Why does Microsoft insist on writing updates that negatively affect their products. From creating WiFi, battery, instability and many more issues with their updates they should realistically call them downdates.

Of course performance on the SP3 out of the box + installing "updates" = decrease in performance. Why should we expect anything else from Microsoft given their history. I ran the XTU benchmark right out of the box. Result: 557. Installed all important updates, let the SP3 cool down to same temp when the pre-update benchmark was ran, result: 552. Why?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why does Microsoft insist on writing updates that negatively affect their products. From creating WiFi, battery, instability and many more issues with their updates they should realistically call them downdates.

Of course performance on the SP3 out of the box + installing "updates" = decrease in performance. Why should we expect anything else from Microsoft given their history. I ran the XTU benchmark right out of the box. Result: 557. Installed all important updates, let the SP3 cool down to same temp when the pre-update benchmark was ran, result: 552. Why?
552 is 99.1% of 557.
Open Task Manager click the Performance tab.
under the graph it will list a number of Processes and Threads.
On mine there are 71 Process and 1132 Threads.
Id submit that one or more of those was not completely idle during both runs. YMMV. Expect even larger variances than that.

pcreyn319

Anyone have success with Under-volting ? I've had some increases in performance with little to no thermal throttling. During normal benchmarking, the CPU would generally drop below 2GHZ within 5 min of testing with thermal throttling. After Under-volting , I'm seeing no thermal throttling and average CPU speeds of 2.6GHZ over the benchmark tests.

If you're willing to test the Under-volt setting, it is in the screenshots attached.

View attachment 2765

Dynamic CPU voltage was changed to -82.03
Processor Graphics Voltage was changed to -62.5
All other settings are default.

Save your default settings in Intel Extreme tuning utility before testing.
I would suggest you run a benchmark first with default settings, wait about 5-10 minutes for the processor to cool down and run the new settings.
You can also, just download this profile and apply the changes to automatically enter the settings.
Download: http://hwbot.org/xtu/download/81707
Is this with an i5 or i7?

Knuck

552 is 99.1% of 557.
Open Task Manager click the Performance tab.
under the graph it will list a number of Processes and Threads.
On mine there are 71 Process and 1132 Threads.
Id submit that one or more of those was not completely idle during both runs. YMMV. Expect even larger variances than that.

I agree that it is not a huge difference on that particular benchmark. It is, however, a step in the wrong direction in a stairwell of many steps in the wrong direction. Performance should improve with updates and if this trend continues then 10 updates form now we are looking at a 10% decrease which is significant.