What's new

i7 benchmarks & tests

OP
B

bluegrass

OK. I found the icon to choose what items to choose to graph. I'm confused. I thought as I watched the CPU stress test that I saw the CPU speed go up as the temp went up. I was expecting the opposite. Also my graphics speed started & stayed at at 599 mhz.

This is a stress test for -7

i7 CPU Stress Test.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
in the CPU test the graphics is not exercised so the frequency stays the same. Intel state the base graphics frequency is 200 MHz but it seems MS has it set to a min of 599mhz. if you run the graphics test you will see the graphics freq go up initially then drop off when thermal throttling kicks in.

dman27

One guy reports this on reddit

I picked up the i7 today, and after doing all the updates (some updates I didn't see until the afternoon which made me feel they were released today) but when I did the Intel extreme utility CPU stress test for ten minutes, it only throttled down to 2.09 to 2.39 and never got lower than 75 degrees. I can post a video of this later on. Anyone else experienced this? This is much better than what we saw from Japan as there it was throttled to 1.7 and 65 degrees. I also did not use hyper V and did not undervolt. So far this is very impressive!

Do you think he did the test correctly ?

dman27

Here is a very interesting video on everything you wanted to know about the Intel extreme tuning utility (XTU) and how to upload\download tweaked profiles to apply to your system.

One guy reports this on reddit

I picked up the i7 today, and after doing all the updates (some updates I didn't see until the afternoon which made me feel they were released today) but when I did the Intel extreme utility CPU stress test for ten minutes, it only throttled down to 2.09 to 2.39 and never got lower than 75 degrees. I can post a video of this later on. Anyone else experienced this? This is much better than what we saw from Japan as there it was throttled to 1.7 and 65 degrees. I also did not use hyper V and did not undervolt. So far this is very impressive!

Do you think he did the test correctly ?

If you look at the OPs video, you will see that the temp stayed between 73-75C and it stayed around 2.29Ghz at the end of 5 min... makes me want to return my SP3 i5

infer66

Just for comparison my i54200U SP2 in a 35c (95f) temperature room got a score of 312 and highest temp of 71c in XTU.
The i7 results look better than I expected. I may have an SP2 for sale soon.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Come on. Someone convince me to sell the nexus 7 gathering dust in the corner :-D although £200 is a lot for a CPU/GPU bump that won't even be fully utilized. I could get many shiny toys for that money.

bkydcmpr

I certainly hope he did it correctly! I really want this thing if it can deliver SUSTAINED performance.
I am very disappointed. seems the same model devices could have different thermal properties. I ran 3dmarks fire strike multiple times since yesterday, best score was 593(after all night cooling), while be77solo got 667. I can only go 622 even after undervolting, worse than anandtech's i5 score.

previously I found some high scores on 3dmarks website (posted here), I have no idea how could they reach that score.