What's new

i7 SP3 overheating issues fixed yet?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think one of the perceptions of the throttle vs. heat issue of the SP3 is causing a level of assumption of issue when heat manifests....

i5 and i7 machines are going to run warm, unless the machine shuts down it is fine....

I see SP3 doing heavy lifting everyday, the SP3 can handle anything a Ultrabook can handle.

OP - JAVA Programs will cause more heat than Win32, Win32 will cause more heat then MUI...

InspectHerGadget

I posted this in another related post but I ran the Intel Burn In test and it passed coming in comfortably under the point where it might shut down, cruising most of the time about 88C and a maximum of 92C.

I use this same program when I am overclocking and it puts the CPUs on 100% which NEVER happens in practice. Even video editing normally gets the CPUs runnin on less than 70% or thereabouts.

The point is that the i7 is designed properly for the thermal loads placed on it, even under unusual situations.

The burn in test is designed to put unrealistic loads on the CPU just to show that there is no possibility of the CPU causing a shutdown under normal conditions.

I think anyone buying the SP3, whether the i5 or i7 model can be assured of safety and good performance. If anyone has an issue though, well, run something like the burn in test. If it fails then return it for repair or replacement.