What's new

IE 11 is hands down the best browser for SP3

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
My only gripe with IE is the horrible swipe back and forward lag, lag, lag sometimes.
Agreed, every silver lining has a cloud, I try to avoid doing that like the Plague or Ebola. Fitting since it takes 20-30 days to come out of it.

bluegrass

Google is the reason we so many ads on most websites. Of course companies had to pay Google to make our Internet browsing painful.

sockfish

Anyone running Gmail on IE11 have issues with "touch enabled" not showing up? Is there a way to uninstall IE11 and reinstall?

lhauser

I've never had the OSK problem people always complain about with Chrome, and I'm not sure what I've done to prevent it always popping up.

I agree that IE11 is overall a better browser for the Surface when on battery. I've put a lot of work into making it usable for me without add-ins, but I still use Chrome as my primary browser unless I'm going to be on battery for a long time. IE has certainly improved a lot over the past year or so.

Gadigo

Just install "Touch Me Gesture Studio" from the store for swiping back and forward in every browser. Three gestures are free after the trail perioid. Works great for me.

Liam2349

Just install "Touch Me Gesture Studio" from the store for swiping back and forward in every browser. Three gestures are free after the trail perioid. Works great for me.

Very good software, although it does interfere with OneNote occasionally as it causes me to accidentally switch pages.

It solves the issue in tablet mode, but I use my SP3 mostly with the keyboard attached so would like to be able to swipe back with the touchpad. Looks like MS might include this functionality in general for Win 10 as they recently added a bunch of new trackpad gestures to the Technical Preview.

mitchellvii

Here's my problem with IE.

Number 1, it was clearly designed for left handed people. The back button, on the left, the bookmarks dock, on the left. No option to change these of course (in typical MS our way or the highway fashion). Now here is the real puzzler. Chrome does "swipe back and forward" very well and is quite an enjoyable feature on a tablet. IE MUI has this same feature although it lags badly. IE desktop? No such feature. Just one of those things IE inexplicably leaves out for reasons which make sense only to them.

I'll leave Chrome for IE when MS gets their heads out of their backsides and fixes these issues.

P.S., Fonts are smoother in Chrome. The one major negative of Chrome to me is the checkerboarding when scrolling and their insistence that a bookmark dock is the work of the Devil despite millions of users begging for one for years.

Yes, these software companies are weird. They develop some bizarre biases for or against a feature and it literally does not matter what the consumer wants.

** Update: Good catch on the Swipe Studio. Still sad I have to go to a somewhat clumsy aftermarket solution for functionality which should be native.

Last edited:

kozak79

Does IE metro not support add-ons/extensions? I installed some in IE desktop but they don't seem to work in Metro, add-ons like "ad block plus".

Liam2349

Add-ons are not supported in MUI IE. Hopefully they can make it work well for Win 10.

Right now, you can open the charms in MUI IE, go to settings > Privacy > Add Tracking Protection Lists. These will block most ads. I think I use the top two.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Winhelp hosts file is way more effective than browser plugin ad blockers. http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin8.htm
Blocks ads, known malware sites, etc.
I use this with a simple Windows Defender exclusion, nothing else.
A large hosts file might impact an Atom based machine, doesn't seem to phase an iSeries CPU.