What's new

IE Metro

I prefer to use the RT's Metro IE, it just allows a lot more screen space. But anytime I come upon a drop down selection box at a website, I get frustrated. Once the drop box is touched it will not stay open. I have tried 2 hands, one holding it open and one tying to selecting, and it will not work. Out of frustration I must get the keyboard to make this work.

Has anyone figured this one out?

ArnoldC

It is about how those sites have been programmed and implemented, and not many conforms to HTML5 yet.

With touch, nothing you can do. But with keyboard, they're accessible.

bosamar

I prefer to use the RT's Metro IE, it just allows a lot more screen space. But anytime I come upon a drop down selection box at a website, I get frustrated. Once the drop box is touched it will not stay open. I have tried 2 hands, one holding it open and one tying to selecting, and it will not work. Out of frustration I must get the keyboard to make this work.

Has anyone figured this one out?
I've got the exact problem on my website: The Battle Off Samar - Taffy III at Leyte Gulf

jdtimothy

Companies need to get with the times!

Yep we all have our favorite sites that are not compatible with touch.... amazon.com is the most inconvenient for me. Its not Microsoft's problem, the site owners need to update their code.

R0bR

Yep we all have our favorite sites that are not compatible with touch.... amazon.com is the most inconvenient for me. Its not Microsoft's problem, the site owners need to update their code.

Amazon is annoying for sure, when you type for searches you can't even select the suggested matches in the drop down.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
Anyone hear of Opera being ported? It is a fantastic browser on my Android devices.
It won't happen (at least in the near future), as Microsoft insists on IE-Engine being the only that is allowed to run as a browser - so even a ff/chrome/opera-front-end would work with an IE-engine. The reasons for this is the sandbox-safety-feature, which will only give a small number of ms-legacy-apps full control over the full windows API, whereas the apps have to use a reduced number of safe controls.

stlbud

Amazon is particulary disappointing. They heavily promote Android but don't understand touch on their own site. Worse for us, problems with their Windows 8 apps gets you tossed into a sewer with support staff that doesn't know there is anything but Android in the world. :/