What's new

IE vs Chrome: which is better?

lparsons21

Chrome is better. At consuming resources.
But Chrome doesn't get old and rusty like IE does. :)
Yeah, they need to fix the battery drain issue when using Chrome. I put up with it because I have a couple chargers that are handy. I like IE for lots of reasons, but with the 'modern' version not supporting plugins and the desktop not working reliably with LastPass, I just can't make myself use it.

nelamvr6

When I'm at home I use Linux as my primary OS. I use Chrome as my browser. Consequently, when I'm on the go I use Chrome also because it syncs well with my phone and tablet.

If there were a version of IE for the Linux desktop I might consider switching.

leeshor

Firefox can also sync and will run on Linux. Sync open tabs, bookmarks and even passwords to your mobile devices.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something I have just noticed upon using 8.1 again. How is it that IE hasn't been updated to automatically bring up the keyboard yet chrome has? On my S3 battery be damned I shall be using chrome.

cliffr39

Something I have just noticed upon using 8.1 again. How is it that IE hasn't been updated to automatically bring up the keyboard yet chrome has? On my S3 battery be damned I shall be using chrome.

I don't get that either. Why does IE not automatically open the keyboard, but Chrome can (both on desktop, not MUI).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't get that either. Why does IE not automatically open the keyboard, but Chrome can (both on desktop, not MUI).

I could very well be wrong, but from what I briefly read, the program has to be re-written (at least part of it) so that it knows that if an input box is highlighted/activated or such via touch, then open on-screen keyboard. Clearly chrome has implemented this code, yet Microsoft isn't even supporting it's own software on its own hardware. Just baffling. One of the reasons I really love windows 10. Despite it's issues, if I touch the url box in IE (while in tablet mode) the keyboard pops up, if I touch the url box with the pen, then the handwriting pane pops up just beneath the url box.

cliffr39

I could very well be wrong, but from what I briefly read, the program has to be re-written (at least part of it) so that it knows that if an input box is highlighted/activated or such via touch, then open on-screen keyboard. Clearly chrome has implemented this code, yet Microsoft isn't even supporting it's own software on its own hardware. Just baffling. One of the reasons I really love windows 10. Despite it's issues, if I touch the url box in IE (while in tablet mode) the keyboard pops up, if I touch the url box with the pen, then the handwriting pane pops up just beneath the url box.

I just tried IE in tablet mode and no keyboard. I know the Modern IE in 8.1 and Spartan in 10 will auto open, but the desktop IE doesn't. Not a big problem, I usually use Modern IE or Spartan depending on which way I reboot the SP3, since they are touch friendlier.

lparsons21

I just tried IE in tablet mode and no keyboard. I know the Modern IE in 8.1 and Spartan in 10 will auto open, but the desktop IE doesn't. Not a big problem, I usually use Modern IE or Spartan depending on which way I reboot the SP3, since they are touch friendlier.

But does Spartan do plugins like LastPass yet? That's one of the reasons I use Chrome.