What's new

IE11 Metro = Heavy CPU Load

romx

Hi all.

Some days ago I started to see a very annoying issue with CPU load in IE11 Metro App.
Any tab, opened in Metro-IE, starts a *very* heavy load (about 35-45%, for all four cores). For example in a screenshots below, it's one page with a surfaceforums.net forum opened only, and nothing more. Not a Java, nor flash or something "active content' present there, just a static page.

CPU also started to be a very hot, fan quickly started to make noise, etc.
Immediately after switching off the Metro-IE, for example to desktop mode, or even to desktop IE, CPU cores quickly drops their load to normal, 5-6%.

Reboot, as well as shutdown and start over, of course - without any viewable success. All recent hotfixes also applied.
Screenshots:
IE-CPU-Issue-2.png

IE-CPU-Issue-1.png

I believe, 29-45% CPU it's TOO MUCH for one tab with static HTML at recent i5 1,9GHz.
Can somebody shed some lights regarding this issue?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
what kind of bad web site are you hitting? :)

First do a scan with Malwarebytes. don't pass go don't collect $200, go directly to Malwarebytes and ensure your free of malware.

OP
romx

romx

You said that it's only HTML. What about scripts or cookies. is that your site?
ANY page. This forum. Google search page. Even just "New Tab" page without any data on it. If, even empty, Metro-IE in foreground - 35% CPU load, if in background/desktop - 5-6%.

I believe it was started after installing one of the hotfixes, issued week or two ago.

Of course, I can revert back to "clean" system, then starting to apply fixes one by one and spend a week for it, but maybe someone knows better way to waste a time? :)

malberttoo

I know you are not thrilled about this idea... but I did a full restore of my SP3 a couple weeks ago, and it fixed several issues I was having. I'm completely happy that I did it.

Maybe for you a good idea would be, to do a restore, get current on all available updates, then put your system back together. Once it's where you want it, plug in an external drive and run a Windows backup image. Then you'll have a nice "baseline" image to go back to if you ever want to wipe the slate again.

OP
romx

romx

Looks like surrendering, and quietly noneffective.
If I will make a full reimage for every software misbehaving, I'll have no time to work.
Last my full restore was about 2 weeks ago, because SP3 suddenly stops to go into Connected Sleep (it was fixed after restore, although), but I spend about full working day for reinstalling all of my working environment after that.

unruledboy

if i remember it right, metro app is based on .net, and .net is wrapper of win32 api that traditionally being used by desktop app directly. behind the scence .net runtime "executes" app with additional processing time than win32 desktop app.

OP
romx

romx

Maybe you're right, but nevermind. It started about week or two ago, and, I'm sure at 95%, after installing a regular hotfix pack from MS.

I like my SP3 in overall, but all these things are very annoying and SP3 looks crude and not as polished-as-it-can-be especially in comparing with products of a company, with name beginning at "A" ;)

dleuen

Did you happen to install adobe flash for other browsers? I had the exact same behavior and uninstalling flash fixed it. Only problem is that the Steam store doesn't work on all pages now, that was what caused me to install flash in the first place.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you happen to install adobe flash for other browsers? I had the exact same behavior and uninstalling flash fixed it. Only problem is that the Steam store doesn't work on all pages now, that was what caused me to install flash in the first place.
Did this happen on a Surface Pro? If so it might have initially created some conflict and when uninstalling broke the native flash.