What's new

If I were to return the sp3...

And get a new one, all my files would transfer over right? It would pretty much be exactly the same (other than customization like background and downloaded apps)?

Liam2349

Transferring files is as simply as copy/paste, or you could upload them to OneDrive and download on your new device.

Your Windows Store apps are tied to your Microsoft account, so when you sign in during the setup process, you will have the option to set up your new Surface just like your previous one. All your apps will show, with all your tiles in the right places, but will not be downloaded until you first run them. Most settings should also be transferred through the cloud, and all desktop software you will have to sort yourself.

OP
M

Modification

so my OneNote files and pages will be there when I open it for the first time on my new sp3 right? I'm not supposed to back it up on my old sp3 before I turn it in since it auto saves?

kristalsoldier

To add to what Liam mentions, you can sync everything on your current SP3 to OneDrive. You can access this through PC Settings>OneDrive etc. This syncs your apps, app settings, customizations etc. to OneDrive. You can also sync all your files on your current SP3 to OneDrive and they should be available to you on your new SP3.

OP
M

Modification

I see. I found the OneDrive settings and its pretty cool how they save everything. Attached is a picture of my OneNote settings and I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the documents within will be transferred to my new sp3.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    59.4 KB · Views: 489

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need to look at other folders, I don't believe Downloads folder is synced by default. There may be other folders or some file types not covered. A simple USB drive backup for safety never hurts, even with OneDrive.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use Windows 8 on two Mac computers, via Parallels. I was/am amazed at how everything was there upon initial installation, and how various settings such as wallpaper, carry over even as I make changes on Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro 3.

OneDrive does it right.

Liam2349

I see. I found the OneDrive settings and its pretty cool how they save everything. Attached is a picture of my OneNote settings and I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the documents within will be transferred to my new sp3.

Open your notes using OneNote Online. If they show up there, they are backed up.