What's new

Illustrator & GPU acceleration issue

scottamead

I have a Surface Book with the i7 and dedicated GPU. The issue I am having is that...in Adobe Illustrator...I am getting elements of the interface "flickering" and performance is not what I would call snappy. This is with GPU acceleration turned on (which was on by default). When I turn off acceleration...Illustrator performs as I would expect. I would think that GPU acceleration would enhance my performance...am I doing something wrong? I know the easy solution is to run Illustrator with GPU acceleration turned off...but I bought this unit thinking the dedicated GPU was giving me something more than the standard Surface tablet.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Have you updated the device including Monday's updates? If so, the most likely scenario is Adobe hasn't updated their code for the new crop of Intel GMA and/or the DX12 implementation of NVIDIA dGPU combined with the Intel GMA.

Are you seeing the same behavior with other Adobe Titles?

OP
S

scottamead

Thanks for your quick reply. I do have all the latest updates and am not seeing this issue in any other title. In fact, Premiere Pro runs like a dream :)

Am I correct in saying that turning off GPU acceleration within Illustrator is not touching my Nvidia settings where it shows illustrator is set to use the dedicated GPU? If that is the case...then it does sound like an Adobe issue.

Thanks again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your quick reply. I do have all the latest updates and am not seeing this issue in any other title. In fact, Premiere Pro runs like a dream :)

Am I correct in saying that turning off GPU acceleration within Illustrator is not touching my Nvidia settings where it shows illustrator is set to use the dedicated GPU? If that is the case...then it does sound like an Adobe issue.

Thanks again.
Correct....

cschaepe

I have found that the dGPU is much slower than the integrated 520 in the one OpenGL game I use. I have to disable the dGPU to get acceptable performance. 4-5 FPS with the dGPU and 18FPS with the 520. So perhaps you are seeing the same thing and the dGPU either has terrible firmware or the hardware that was just there to make us think like that the SB was worth the extra money.

bacchus

Hey, what was the upshot of this? I am still experiencing GPU crashes with my surface book using illustrator ...in March 2016

JaeMelo

I have found that the dGPU is much slower than the integrated 520 in the one OpenGL game I use. I have to disable the dGPU to get acceptable performance. 4-5 FPS with the dGPU and 18FPS with the 520. So perhaps you are seeing the same thing and the dGPU either has terrible firmware or the hardware that was just there to make us think like that the SB was worth the extra money.
Its terrible until you update the drivers... This issue has been mentioned all over reddit. The minute you update them it'll easily outperform the intel 520 without crashing.

Last edited: