What's new

Improving SSD performance

ScottyS

Yes, I too am anxious to see how this work, especially since I don't perceive any problem with my SP3 I'm reluctant to be one of the first to run this (if it's not broke don't fix it kind of this).

Is this for all Samsung SSD that are used in SP3s?

daniele.s

I didn't have any problems with my SP3 but I installed it. It seems faster opening apps and navigating, don't know if it's placebo...
One thing I noticed is I don't have Fast Startup and Hibernate options anymore. Anyone else?

Last edited:

Red-Oak

I'm still waiting for link to the Hotfix to be emailed to me. Been 24 hours.

I'm in the same position as ScottyS, no current issues, so no great desire to be one of the 1st to try it out.

ETA - link just arrived, with this warning: (I'll be waiting for the next service pack release)

WARNING This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that. For information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser:

Last edited:

buers

The tool from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3166746
will disable hibernation. This took a while to find out ...
I guess, it is a bug. The surface will stay in connected standby forever until you wake it up again. Also, when you have enabled hibernation options for the power button, it is gone.

Easiest way, to get hibernation back is from a command line as admin:

powercfg -h:eek:n

or regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\HibernateEnabled -> 1

SSD performance seem significantly improved!