What's new

Improving SSD performance

wditters

View attachment 4315

Installed it yesterday :(

And it will never work. This functionality is limited to Samsung retail drives only. It has never worked and will never work on OEM versions of Samsung drives that are used by the likes of Dell, Lenovo, Apple, Microsoft etc ... Samsung ships those drives with proprietary firmware tailored to manufacturer's special requirements. Samsung Magician picks up drives with proprietary firmware as non-Samsung ...

Tatletz

Samsung Magician picks up drives with proprietary firmware as non-Samsung ...[/QUOTE]

I see, well thank you for the info wditters. Much appreciated.

kwizatz

I ran it with the checkbox for read and write.

I only see the one checkbox for "read only" mode... do you mean you ran it once with read only checked, and once with it unchecked?

I tried running with that box checked but didn't see any difference afterwards (I have a Samsung SSD).

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

I only see the one checkbox for "read only" mode... do you mean you ran it once with read only checked, and once with it unchecked?

I tried running with that box checked but didn't see any difference afterwards (I have a Samsung SSD).
Sorry for the conflation, you need to run it unchecked. If you did not notice any difference then I don't knows what to tell you.

Sven

Thanks ctitanic - the steps you outlined in this thread worked for me with the excellent before and after results.

Any idea how long this lasts / how often it needs to be done ?

Here's hoping for a firmware update for the drive itself.

I recall my OCZ Vertex 3 had so many issues with its SF2200 series firmware ... don't ever want to experience that again.

Attachments

• drivefresh.JPG
    drivefresh.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 547

Nicola

Thanks ctitanic - the steps you outlined in this thread worked for me with the excellent before and after results.

Any idea how long this lasts / how often it needs to be done ?

Here's hoping for a firmware update for the drive itself.

I recall my OCZ Vertex 3 had so many issues with its SF2200 series firmware ... don't ever want to experience that again.
According to the reports, data degrade significantly around one month after being written.
The thing is: there's nothing triggering anything. There is a slow drift in the voltage value and there is no "moment" when data go from "readable" to ""unreadable".
You should probably find your own tradeoff between losing one entire write cycle on the SSD (shortening slightly its life) and the performance loss.
I foresee risks of corrupted data, but I did not experience it on my 840 EVO (on my laptop), at least not in 4-6 months time (I don't remember when it's the last time I installed windows)

leeshor

Personally I think most of this discussion is wishful thinking when it comes to degradation of the data over time. The idea of this happening goes all the way back to MFM drives back in the '80s I have been working with computers since 1983 and have never seen data loss attributable to the sectors/clusters not being refreshed. I think it's an old wives tale.

Much ado about nothing.

Nicola

Personally I think most of this discussion is wishful thinking when it comes to degradation of the data over time. The idea of this happening goes all the way back to MFM drives back in the '80s I have been working with computers since 1983 and have never seen data loss attributable to the sectors.clusters not being refreshed. I think it's an old wives tale.

Much ado about nothing.
Here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/...e-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug
There is an explanation of the bug and how this could lead to data corruption.