What's new

Incipio "capture" and "feather" cases for Surface

OP
O

oion

I think the feather listed for the Pro might be a mistake on the Microsoft site. If you go out to Incipio's site there is nothing listed for Pro just the RT.

Microsoft Surface Sleeves

TheJokker, please let us know and give a review when you get it. It looks nice and I am hoping that it fits the Pro.

Also, if you go to the vendor's page there are a bunch more photo's and that show all angles (including kickstand).

Yeah, I was wondering why Pro versions exist on MS' site but not on Incipio's site, and the RT versions haven't even been released yet (or is out of stock, don't know). At least returning it should be easy enough.

rubaxter

If there is no ventilation I'll mod the case...

I used to think that until I realized a lot of heat gets rejected by the back surface of the Surface, and that with that surface blocked the Surface may need to rely on the fans more than originally designed.

However, I'm open to convincing on this surface/Surface issue...

OP
O

oion

I used to think that until I realized a lot of heat gets rejected by the back surface of the Surface, and that with that surface blocked the Surface may need to rely on the fans more than originally designed.

However, I'm open to convincing on this surface/Surface issue...

That's certainly an issue not limited to these particular cases for the Pro, as many folks get portfolio leather/pleather cases that have the same problem. (One bonus of a thin decal/skin, I suppose, if you really want to cover the chassis with something.) But that's why I was surprised someone spotted both of these in the Microsoft store for the Pro and not the Surface RT/2, where the latter makes a bit more sense to me in terms of the heat dissipation/insulating effects.

Well, we'll see. :) Having a molded snap-on case is nice for a variety of reasons compared to either the portfolios or decals.

hyjynxv

I picked up the Incipio Feather case for my Surface Pro 2 the other day from my local Microsoft Store and I really like it. It comes in two pieces which slide on to the Surface Pro from the top and bottom similar to many of their phone cases. I would have taken it apart for some pics but it is a bit of pain to remove once it is on. The material is soft touch plastic which feels great and sturdy but does pick up finger prints which must be wiped away. The pics below are after handling it for a day and I wouldn't consider myself to have very oily hands but the fingerprints are noticeable on the case. The added weight to me was negligible since the Surface Pro wasn't the lightest thing anyway. There are vents across the top and the top part of the sides of the case. I haven't noticed the fan kick in anymore often than without the case and on the plus side any warmth once felt by handling the Surface Pro while in use is no longer noticeable through the case. The biggest cons for me was that you can no longer fold the type/touch covers back on the back of the tablet (if you try it will just pop off) and the case blocks the power port side enough so that you can no longer dock the stylus there. I did manage to find an adhesive pen loop at The Container Store for like $4 that works great for the stylus once applied to the back of the case and bonus you can charge with it there!

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10031250&N=&Ntt=pen+loop

0kud.jpg

nfse.jpg

ymtj.jpg

4kt7.jpg

vrzm.jpg

9dcl.jpg

vkla.jpg

xsni.jpg

iydi.jpg

42on.jpg

p4d6.jpg

4cdf.jpg

v239.jpg

OP
O

oion

Wow, thanks for the report! I see the vent holes on top, good.

Dammit, where is my Surface 2 version. :(

(Edit to add: I'll bet fingerprints are a lot less visible on lighter colors, if Incipio makes them, hmm.)

Last edited:

hyjynxv

In the Microsoft Store I was at they only had the black versions of the Capture and Feather for Surface Pros only.

OP
O

oion

In the Microsoft Store I was at they only had the black versions of the Capture and Feather for Surface Pros only.

Ah, well, maybe soon...

But still--those cases do exist, and they're not on Incipio's website. Funky!

OP
O

oion

I'm interested in the Incipio nylon sleeve... too bad it doesn't come with a purple highlight to match the Type2.

Their available products are all for the first gen (the Pro snap cases just happen to fit both, I guess), so they may still add additional colors for the second gen. Especially since it appears the Surface line will be more popular this time around.

deldalton

I really like the Feather snap-on case. But, I am highly concerned about the device being unable to dissipate the heat well enough, considering that the back and majority of the vents are covered.

I would really like it if we could find out from Incipio how they feel they've taken that into consideration.

cmergel

Very tempted now to purchase. Thanks for confirming fitting the Surface Pro. Funny that their own website doesn't show product for Surface Pro.

deldalton

I really like the Feather snap-on case. But, I am highly concerned about the device being unable to dissipate the heat well enough, considering that the back and majority of the vents are covered.

I would really like it if we could find out from Incipio how they feel they've taken that into consideration.

I've posted a message on their Facebook page, asking them if a Feather case is in development for the Pro series and, if so, how they've considered my concerns about the device being unable to cool efficiently.

I'll let you all now if I receive a response.