What's new

Incipio "capture" and "feather" cases for Surface

OP
O

oion

Just a thought...

If you are a Surface RT user and thinking about switching to a Pro, this case makes the RT as thick and as heavy as the Pro (I think) :)
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

I have a Surface 2. The RT line is ~0.5 lbs lighter than the Pro line, so I guess a plastic case of this nature would certainly make it thicker and a bit heavier. I still haven't found a sleeve that fits both the Type+Surface easily without shoving, but would rather have the Feather than a skin, and those folding portfolios don't do it for me (looks even chunkier). But I'm not holding out hope that Incipio will actually expand the line to Surface 2 at this point because their website is so inaccurate; the only obvious thing about their website is that they're very, very much into the Apple ecosystem. Ah well, maybe it's time for me to get a custom case from Etsy again.

TheJokker

I took mine off last night. Under normal usage it works fine but if I run a game (civ 5) for more than 20-30 minutes the fans come on and type-cover/onscreen keyboard stops responding and a hard restart must be performed in order to work properly. If the case itself acts as a heatsink than I'm not even sure how effective drilling a series of holes in the back of the feather case will work.

Too bad because I liked how the case looked and felt in addition to the added protection. I guess my Surface will just have to go naked...

OP
O

oion

I took mine off last night. Under normal usage it works fine but if I run a game (civ 5) for more than 20-30 minutes the fans come on and type-cover/onscreen keyboard stops responding and a hard restart must be performed in order to work properly. If the case itself acts as a heatsink than I'm not even sure how effective drilling a series of holes in the back of the feather case will work.

Too bad because I liked how the case looked and felt in addition to the added protection. I guess my Surface will just have to go naked...

A skin will work fine in terms of not insulating the Pro chassis too much, but your discovery makes sense... which is why it doesn't make sense to me that Incipio has Pro cases out but not the Surface 2. So basically, if you use these cases on a Pro, you shouldn't be running games. Is the Incipio case easy to slide off the top? If not, that's too bad, although you may not want to do that often if you play games frequently anyway.

OP
O

oion

It's not hard to remove but it's not easy either. I ordered one of these:

Newegg.com - Cooler Master Comforter Air - Pillow Lap Desk for Laptops and Tablets with Removable Cooling Fan

It's basically a small pillow with a fan built in that is powered by USB but a reviewer noted that it does not take away the USB port (?). I'm hoping this will allow me to play an occasional game in the evening and continue using the feather case for the added protection.

I doubt that solution will work well for the Surface Pro because the internals are located vertically with the screen, not horizontally under the keyboard like normal laptops (where that design makes sense--you can cool the lap part because the computer is actually there). But since there's a vent slit on the bottom of the Surface Pro (is that right?), that may work a bit... but not as efficiently as for a real laptop.

fishhead_soup

Dang it, I just opened the package with the feather case and noticed that one of the small metal bars on the kickstand cover is clearly not in its appropriate place. I know I could just pop it off and put it in its rightful spot, however I don't believe I should have to... 2013-11-04T18-00-24_0.jpg2013-11-04T18-00-24_2.jpg2013-11-04T18-00-24_1.jpg

OP
O

oion

Dang it, I just opened the package with the feather case and noticed that one of the small metal bars on the kickstand cover is clearly not in its appropriate place. I know I could just pop it off and put it in its rightful spot, however I don't believe I should have to...

Whoa, what the heck? No, you shouldn't have to (and there may be ugly adhesives involved). The fact that it's clearly faulty upon manufacture since you just opened the package, you should get it exchanged. I can't even tell what that tab thing is for, huh.

FrankMurphy

Can the feather case be modded to allow folding back of the touch/type keyboard? I love the concept, but not being able to fold back the keyboard might be a dealbreaker for me...

OP
O

oion

Can the feather case be modded to allow folding back of the touch/type keyboard? I love the concept, but not being able to fold back the keyboard might be a dealbreaker for me...

I think the thickness of the case and the fact that it's snap-on would preclude that possibility; you'd have to shave off the hinge area and probably a good swath of the back, which just sounds messy and not worth the effort. The keyboard covers were definitely designed to fold back only on a naked--or skinned--Surface. I don't believe you can fold back the keyboard on any other third party case either...

MSY_

I found it here at Best Buy: Incipio feather Case for Microsoft Surface RT MRSF-044 - Best Buy

I considered getting one for the Surface 2, but then I realized: the back covers the 2 new sensors next to the camera (I don't believe that Surface RT has them.) I'll pass for now. Also, only Black is available at this time. Hopefully, a Surface 2 version will be released...

Wow, where'd you get one? And I thought the Surface RT version was never released because Incipio's website when you mouseover the thumbnails only say "coming soon." :( Unfortunately, given the big highlight that Incipio gives Apple products, maybe anything for MS is just shoved off into the corner anyway. Surface 2 owners may be out of luck there.