What's new

Indexing or not?

sean99

This will appear to be a bit long-winded, as I not understand the Forums setup. Would appeciate a referral to how why there is a need 300+ forum subjects work.
Hello again, almost 6 months since I bought the basic model, Pro 4 with the Intel m3 chip. 4 GB RAM.
I have upped my 128GB of installed storage with a Sandisc 128GB SD micro-card. everything is honky dory - love that screen quality - it blows away ipad users when I show a full screen photo. also getting rave reviews on skype (which, admittedly, is limited by the receptors screen quality). Lost my pen, prob. because it was black - replaced i with a red one.wished I had bought the pen strap (and the restaurateur where I left it were able to speak english - they did offer me a power bank, left behind by another customer:)
Recently, having trouble with eitehr (a) Win 10 app or (b) the SD card. Surface freezes. Online support suggests I check to see if my SD card is corrupted, and/or to de-index it. When checked the indexing function - it shows that the C: drive is not indexed.
Now before someone suggests that this is a Win10 problem, here is my question:
did your Surface ship with the C: drive indexed or not indexed? and if not , did you change it to use the index function?
any experiences as a result?
Originally, I wrote that I gave my iPad Air to my wife. Yes - she wants a Surface.
Warm regards from Thailand - especially to our all our US Surface friends - we hope you will survive the twin frights of both Halloween and Nov 8.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do other cards "freeze up" when inserted? Have you tried your card on another machine? Have you by chance ran an error check either using Microsoft or an aftermarket app? From my experience on literally thousands of machines, Windows Indexing is a standard feature already turned on when shipped. (or is turned on during initial setup etc) Since it makes searching for files a snap, I leave it on. I have in the past turned off the indexing feature when gaming, or building gaming rig etc. So "re-indexing" a micro sd shouldn't take but a few mins max unless of course, it's full of thousands of files, has a slow read/write ratio, or damaged. (*Windows is actually re-indexing of course, not the card) If you are trying to milk the M3 processor, I'd turn off the indexing service - if not leave it on.

You can also try to uninstall / re-install the Surface Pro Drivers IF your card works fine in other machines. It could possibly be a driver issue. However, if other cards work without issue in your SP4 - its most likely the card. The SANDISK 128 Gbs is only $29 on Amazon (minus shipping) - so at least your not out $50+. You can pick up a 200Gb for around $50 as well. Hope this helps.