What's new

Indications if or when a version 2?

Markg2

The consensus reviews are that the product is good but has enough problems consistent with a first try to warrant waiting for the 2nd version--assuming MS decides to do so vs. kill off the product.

Have there been any viable rumors as to the near term future?

Mark

OP
M

Markg2

Darn, I'll likely need some more glue and luck to keep my '07 Thinkpad running till then ;-).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can pickup some good deals on refurbished laptops as a short term solution. Prior to Surfaces I bought several Lenovo refurbs, never had any issues with them at all. A two year old model should be dirt cheap.

Orlbuckeye

The consensus reviews are that the product is good but has enough problems consistent with a first try to warrant waiting for the 2nd version--assuming MS decides to do so vs. kill off the product.

Have there been any viable rumors as to the near term future?

Mark
I don't see Microsoft killing off the product. I think it's here to stay.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't see Microsoft killing off the product. I think it's here to stay.

Not a chance. Microsoft have proven quite successfully that a troubled first iteration doesn't mean giving up. All common sense would tell MS to have ditched the surface almost from day one, thank god they prevailed. If they put as much money and effort into the SB2 as they have done with the surface pro line, they'll have a winner on their hands before too long.

OP
M

Markg2

Curious...what model Lenovo (mine's a T61) did you use during the interim and did you purchase the refurbished from Lenovo?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious...what model Lenovo (mine's a T61) did you use during the interim and did you purchase the refurbished from Lenovo?
I got a T420, Edge14, & 2 W520s I use the T420 for official business stuff in my office, it has all my business software etc. the Edge14 is a test machine, and the W520s I use for demos running virtual machines and Citrix XenDestop. I purchased the T420 from either Amazon or Newegg I don't remember for sure, the others I purchased from Lenovo's web site and afterwards maxed the RAM, & replaced the disks with SSDs in the W520s. I use my Surfaces in meetings and for daily routine stuff.

Note: 15" laptops generally can be found cheaper than 14"

Last edited:
OP
M

Markg2

Man you are one super help on this and I sure appreciate the information.

A question to save me the time (if you still remember). My huge concern, same as why I've never purchased a used car, is the likely 60 or 90 day warranty and then the machine craps out a month or two later obviating the low cost. When I use AMEX for the purchase, they double the purchase warranty period but that's not saying much if the warranty is 60-90 days.

Also, any idea why on earth a large display costs less?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

A question to save me the time (if you still remember). My huge concern, same as why I've never purchased a used car, is the likely 60 or 90 day warranty and then the machine craps out a month or two later obviating the low cost. When I use AMEX for the purchase, they double the purchase warranty period but that's not saying much if the warranty is 60-90 days.

Would Amex double the remaining warranty on a second hand purchase, or does it have to be new with receipt?

As to a larger screen costing less, one would imagine that they have to spend more resources to get things into a smaller size.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member

It costs more to jam all that stuff into a smaller space, more engineering, harder to manufacture etc.

I can't offer you anything on the warranty although maybe you can purchase one of those extended warranties from Square or other but I never have. you do take a risk although I have bought many refurbished computers and never had one fail me but I'm sure it happens.

OP
M

Markg2

Looks good to me, what do you think (New Egg)?

Price $599.99
Says the original price was $799 but that can't be--it's way too low?

Refurbished: Lenovo Thinkpad T530 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) Notebook - Intel Dual Core i5 3320M (2.60GHz), 8GB 256GB Solid State Hard Drive, DVDRW, NVIDIA NVS 5400M - Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Graphics Card: NVIDIA NVS 5400M 1GB

Part Number: 2429-AW8

Model #: T530