What's new

Indications if or when a version 2?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I assume you picked that one for the discrete graphics card which ups the price compared to the others but if that fits your need and price then not a bad choice.

OP
M

Markg2

Nope. Don't need the card but it's the only i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM that I found on either Amazon or New Egg. There was one on Amazon but it didn't say the model of Thinkpad so I shied away.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok but a 256gb SSD (Samsung 850 Evo) can be had for $88 and 240GB Crucial or SanDisk for $64.

That unit does have other embellishments though... like FHD 1920 x 1080 display. vs 1600 x 900 or 1366x768.

the refurb market is an ever changing one, what's not available today may come available next week or next month.

RAM and DISK can easily and cheaply be upgraded. The other components you're not so likely to change.

For $399 they have
Intel Core i5 3320M Dual Core (2.60 GHz)
  • 8 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 128GB SSD
  • DVDRW
  • Intel HD 4000 Graphics
  • 1600 x 900 Display
  • Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit
+ $88 = $487. But the display is only 1600 x 900 and you'd have to swap the disk so the other one still isn't a bad deal overall.

Good luck.

OP
M

Markg2

I ordered the 'other one' from New Egg this morning along with the extended 1 year warranty for $54.

Thanks again.

Mark

OP
M

Markg2

GreyFox7--
I'm having second thoughts on the 1 year warranty (I can cancel and reorder within 30 days). The 2 year is $134. My reasoning: I can safely say that within 2 years from now either the Surface Book version 2 will be available or Lenovo will offer a new machine that meets my preferences or the refurbished machine is just fine and I keep using it till it craps out. I pay $54 for 1 year, the motherboard goes south after 13 months and I'm back where I am now and out $$654. If I pay $100 more I'm insured that my 2 year investment is safe.

Your argument against the 2 year extended warranty?

Orlbuckeye--
$150 off = ~3x the cost of the refurbished. Keep in mind I'm purhasing this machine as a time bridge pending either version 2 Surface Book or a Lenovo better meeting my preferences.

OP
M

Markg2

Yo, GreyFox7, I feel like a mushroom. Please give me some feedback on your take on my reasoning for a 2 vs. 1 year extended, 3rd party (AIG) warranty. I'm currently having a one sided argument with myself ;-)!

Mark

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. flip a coin, if you are unhappy with the result you have revealed your true feelings and you should go with that. ;)

CrippsCorner

Got it bang on with the coin flipping! I often tell my girlfriend to do that when she can't make a decision... and tell her you'll know what you want before the coin hits your hand :)

Orlbuckeye

GreyFox7--
I'm having second thoughts on the 1 year warranty (I can cancel and reorder within 30 days). The 2 year is $134. My reasoning: I can safely say that within 2 years from now either the Surface Book version 2 will be available or Lenovo will offer a new machine that meets my preferences or the refurbished machine is just fine and I keep using it till it craps out. I pay $54 for 1 year, the motherboard goes south after 13 months and I'm back where I am now and out $$654. If I pay $100 more I'm insured that my 2 year investment is safe.

Your argument against the 2 year extended warranty?

Orlbuckeye--
$150 off = ~3x the cost of the refurbished. Keep in mind I'm purhasing this machine as a time bridge pending either version 2 Surface Book or a Lenovo better meeting my preferences.

Well MS has a trade in policy on certains models. I'm already thinking of trading mine in once the 2 comes out.