What's new

Initial Thoughts...

WorldIRC

So...it's a nice device. Slim, lightweight, doesn't get hot like the SP3, doesn't seem to be affected by the WiFi issues that plagued the SP3 either.

That being said -- the device feels a little more sluggish than even my SP2 with Core i5 CPU. Things like updating Windows or installing apps are pretty sluggish and apps take a little longer to load.

Not sure what to think overall at this point...

What does everyone else think?

Garyjk

well, it is slower than an sp2 and was designed to be. if you were expecting faster than an sp2 i5, you were mistaken. in fact, it's slower than an i3. s3 only has an atom processor.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's hardly any difference in performance between a Pro 2 and a Pro 3 with i5 since it's nearly or in some units actually the same CPU. Either i5 4200U or i5 4300U in Pro 2 and Pro 3 has i5 4300U (excluding i3 & i7).

In comparison to a Surface 2 (non Pro) my initial impression is it's faster in every respect. Noticeably more comfortable holding it in one hand compared to any Surface model.

Going to compare charging with a 20W charger to see if it improves charge time ... It may or may not make any difference. Results will be a few days out.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surface 2 vs Surface 3 PC Benchmark (store app):

Surface 2:
Screenshot (7).png

Surface 3:
Screenshot (2).png

WiFi Connection Speed (wireless ac router 5G)
Surface 2: 300 mbps
Surface 3: 867 mbps

3DMark Ice Storm Unlimited
. . . . . . Surface 2 - - Surface 3
Overall. . . 14077 - - - 25862
Graphics . 14560 - - - 27346
Physics. . . 12382 - - - 21734
Graphics1 . 91fps - - - 135fps.
Graphics2 . 49fps - - - 106fps
Physics . . .. 39fps - - - 69fps

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 2mbps wifi connection for $20 a month so i doubt an AC router will make a difference for me :D
It would only help local connections to other machines on your network your Internet speed will be capped at your subscribed rate. Think streaming games from your PC, PlayStation, Xbox, File transfers (backup) to/from PC or NAS etc.

OP
W

WorldIRC

I never had an S2 -- always had a need to run real apps. I had my SP2, loved it, got an SP3, hated it, now got the S3 and hoping to love it.

I do note that the sleep battery drain is improved on here -- only 1% drain over night.

I guess I was hoping for an SP2 replacement (with focus on 10") that didn't get as hot or have the fans spinning all the time like the SP3.

kodos

So far, been setting up my wife's new Surface 3. Seems nice and light - more effortless to carry than my S3 Pro. Screen is really nice, no problems there. For the light tasks that she will be throwing at the thing, I think she will be happy with it.

I thought I'd miss the variable position stand in the S3 Pro, but actually ... I kind of like the 3 position kickstand. It's actually very nice. There's a little bit of play with the Pro's kickstand, but the S3's is very solid. I like it.

The new touchpad has a more positive click which I like. The keyboard is great as usual, it continually amazes me how they've refined a keyboard that is just a cover. Well done. Miss the magnetic charger with the Pro. Not a fan of the micro-USB connector, but I don't worry about breaking the port with the nice little grip they have on the bundled charger.

A bit trippy to use a Windows machine that is fanless to be honest. I don't realize how quiet it is until I start using my S3 Pro! Doesn't seem to get too hot to the touch either.

So far, so good. We'll see how it goes. We got the 4GB/128GB variant at BestBuy with the Navy Blue cover and silver pen.

irogos

I am enjoying my Surface 3 as well. I won't reiterate what others have said because so far everything is spot on regarding speed of the device, quality etc.

Some things that surprised me are....
1. The keyboard is really good. I would say the keys have less travel than a MacBook pro, but less side to side movement and a LOT less clatter. This is a very quiet keyboard. The trackpad is amazing! It is much better than any windows trackpad I have ever used. The trackpad feels on par with MacBook trackpads.

2. There is more flow to using this device than using an iPad. I have owned iPads since the very first one and they still feel essentially the same today in functionality. You open an app, use it for a bit, then hit the home button to get out of the app. Swipe left or right to get to another page of apps then open another app. Everything is very segregated. To me, using an iPad is like going to a fast food restaurant, ordering a burger, eating the burger, then ordering some fries, eat the fries, then order a drink, drink the drink. So far, using the Surface 3 is a very smooth flow. The start panel has all my programs, I click on a program and then if I remember that I need to do something else I hit the window button on the right and transition back and open something else. I can then go back and forth using the window on the right. It may sound like a similar experience to the iPad, but the whole process has a much smoother flow. It is difficult to explain.

3. Usability of the screen area. None of the reviews really talk about how the 3:2 screen ratio + 1080p results in using most of the screen when watching videos. When watching a 1080p video, I am using most of the screen. With an iPad, a 1080p video uses about half the screen with giant bars on top and bottom. Additionally, reading websites is much easier. I no longer have to swipe left and right to read paragraphs. I just scroll up and down.

4. The keyboard only feels necessary if I am going to use the device for productivity. If I am going to use the Surface 3 as a consumption device like an iPad, the keyboard isn't needed. Most reviews make the keyboard sound like it is absolutely necessary. The on screen keyboard is perfectly capable and I would say is on par with the iPad on screen keyboard.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am enjoying my Surface 3 as well. I won't reiterate what others have said because so far everything is spot on regarding speed of the device, quality etc.

Some things that surprised me are....
1. The keyboard is really good. I would say the keys have less travel than a MacBook pro, but less side to side movement and a LOT less clatter. This is a very quiet keyboard. The trackpad is amazing! It is much better than any windows trackpad I have ever used. The trackpad feels on par with MacBook trackpads.

2. There is more flow to using this device than using an iPad. I have owned iPads since the very first one and they still feel essentially the same today in functionality. You open an app, use it for a bit, then hit the home button to get out of the app. Swipe left or right to get to another page of apps then open another app. Everything is very segregated. To me, using an iPad is like going to a fast food restaurant, ordering a burger, eating the burger, then ordering some fries, eat the fries, then order a drink, drink the drink. So far, using the Surface 3 is a very smooth flow. The start panel has all my programs, I click on a program and then if I remember that I need to do something else I hit the window button on the right and transition back and open something else. I can then go back and forth using the window on the right. It may sound like a similar experience to the iPad, but the whole process has a much smoother flow. It is difficult to explain.

3. Usability of the screen area. None of the reviews really talk about how the 3:2 screen ratio + 1080p results in using most of the screen when watching videos. When watching a 1080p video, I am using most of the screen. With an iPad, a 1080p video uses about half the screen with giant bars on top and bottom. Additionally, reading websites is much easier. I no longer have to swipe left and right to read paragraphs. I just scroll up and down.

4. The keyboard only feels necessary if I am going to use the device for productivity. If I am going to use the Surface 3 as a consumption device like an iPad, the keyboard isn't needed. Most reviews make the keyboard sound like it is absolutely necessary. The on screen keyboard is perfectly capable and I would say is on par with the iPad on screen keyboard.
Nailed it.