What's new

Installation/setup questions

CargoMatatu

When I get my new Microsoft Surface Pro 128gb, which is a LOOOONG way off as I live in Europe and this is still a fabled prize of mythology for us, I have a couple of questions.

I currently have a large Acer touchscreen desktop on which I'm running Win 8 Pro and have it set up just as I like it.
I did it via the Ms upgrade just before Christmas, so it has MS Office 2007 installed (for which I have an extra licence remaining) which holds extensive data for contacts, agenda, etc.

I'm sure you've guessed where I'm going here!

So, when the fabled Surface Pro 128gb becomes available over here, is it possible to somehow connect it to the desktop so that I can duplicate the setup? Can it connect via WiFi or maybe a cable.
I have the Office suite in DVD as well, so I'm wondering how to install that.

No rush to answer, guys; I reckon we've got PLENTY of time before I'll have the opportunity to do it!
Me? Cynical? Never!

John

bosamar

If you use the same Microsoft Live account on your Win8 Desktop and your Surface Pro all the contacts, wallpaper, login will auto transfer over. They will auto-sync with each other.

souldier

Yeah use the same windows account that you currently use to sign into the surface pro. Many things such as your calendar, accounts, etc. will just sync over. You won't be able to perfectly duplicate your other computer though except by doing it manually.

In terms of ms office, I would really consider going with Office 2013 or Office 365 as it is a bit more touch friendly and has new features. I am using Office 365 (never did I think I would even consider getting office on a subscription basis) but I love it! I have up to 5 available licenses and I can easily install, uninstall and transfer licenses from one computer to the next. I installed office on one tablet, then returned the tablet. I just signed into my account and deactivated that computer, then transferred that license to another one.

Last edited:

bosamar

I am using Office 365 (never did I think I would even consider getting office on a subscription basis) but I love it! I have up to 5 available licenses and I can easily install, uninstall and transfer licenses from one computer to the next. I installed office on one tablet, then returned the tablet. I just signed into my account and deactivated that computer, that transferred that license to another one.
I too signed up for Office 365 Home Premium and love it. Word, Excel, Publisher, OneNote, Access, and PowerPoint. IMO $10 per month or $99 per year can't be beat for 5 PCs.

Russ

Via WiFi or cable connection (I'm not familiar with Win Easy Transfer).

CargoMatau --

Arnold's suggestion is good -- use Windows Easy Transfer. It is in the Windows System Folder. It allows you to transfer Files and Settings from your old computer to the new one. It creates a transfer file that you can put on a USB drive (my usual), or you could store it on your old computer, then access it by Wi-Fi or cable from your new computer. The Files feature lets you select the files you want to transfer, by related programs or by file types.

If you plan to use your Office 2007, I suggest you install it on the Pro before you do Easy Transfer. That way, the transferred files will find their natural home. You can install it on the Pro by using Remote Desktop from your Acer. In Remote Desktop, choose Show Options, Local Resources, More, Drives. There you can designate your Acer CD drive to be available during the connection. You can access that drive in File Explorer, and install from there.

If any problems or questions, just post them here.

Regards,

Russ

Cowboy

Cool! Thanks, Arnold.

Via WiFi or cable connection (I'm not familiar with Win Easy Transfer).

Easy transfer is a good program but like so many automated tools you have to know what you are doing. First of all be aware that easy transfer does not install any programs on your new computer. It just copies files from one system to the other. If you are going to install all the programs you have on the old system to your new system then you will probably not encounter any problems. If you are going to upgrade, for instance you had Microsoft Office 2010 on your old system and you are going to install Office 2013 on the new system, I would run easy transfer first then install Microsoft Office 2013 last. That way the install will pick up all the old settings from Office 2010 and the install program will make appropriate adjustments, whereas if you do the install first followed by the transfer it will overlay the newly installed Office 2013 with data from the older version. Further, if you have any programs on the old system that you are not going to install on the new system make sure that the data associated with that program is excluded from the transfer. For example, all you need is 4 or 5 gigabytes of map data on your new system where you are not going to install the mapping program.