What's new

Installed Updates, now Crashing like crazy

taylork1

Last night, I installed 3 updates and rebooted. These could have been the firmware updates because the UI and messages were slightly different from the standard updates. Updates have been flawless so far so I didn't think twice about them. Since then, I have had these problems:
*Pen stopped working. I took the battery out and reset it, re-paired with bluetooth, but still had to reboot
*Audio. Static/crackling before an audio starts. Not a show stopper, but this is new behavior.
*Camera. I upload pictures almost every day, never had a problem until this morning. First, the USB connect froze the system. I did a hard reboot. Then, plug-and-play didn't detect the camera. Reboot again. Third time worked as expected. Just weird and inconsistent.
*CNN Breaking News event froze the system. Had to do a hard reboot.

Normally, I wouldn't whine and complain about peripheral device issues, but all of these are since last night! Seriously, what was in that update, and will there be a fix to the fixes?

Arnieaz

Well I would I would check your update history. That shows updates by date and number. Find the update numbers of the 3 and do a little research!

I'm completely up to date with no problems at all. even the firmware update.
Arnie
Tucson

OP
T

taylork1

Arnie - so glad all is perfect in your world. And thanks for your suggestion that I do my own research.

Has anyone else had issues with the latest firmware update?
Karen.

Telstar1948

Well...someone has to say it...and since everyone else is hanging back...taylork1, you just may have to do a reset for everything to flow smoothly :(

Clintro

I agree with Telstar. Sounds like something we wonky in your updates. Just one of those things that happens.

(If this was in real life I would say "Operator Error" with an obvious sarcastic tone.... but you know you can't type sarcastically...LOL)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree on the Reset and this confirms my worst fears for the x86 based Surface 3. It has all the same warts and niggles as the Surface Pro's. you update it and it may work fine or it may be totally trashed or various problems popup. I never had any issues with Surface 2 or the original Surface RT hanging or crashing or acting weird after updates. I had had to refresh/reset my SP3 3 times and now it look like I will need to do that to the Surface 3. Flakey Wifi, intermittent hangs, and complete lockups it's not ready for mass consumer adoption.

Clintro

I don't think one instance is a trend, but definitely something to watch for.

Unless GreyFox, you are referring to issue you are having too after update.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think one instance is a trend, but definitely something to watch for.

Unless GreyFox, you are referring to issue you are having too after update.
I'm speaking of my own experience in context with what I have seen others post on this forum.