What's new

installing 8.1 on SAT help

spinachpie

I have a laptop with 24gb ssd and windows 8.1 booting from hdd.

I would like it to instead boot from the ssd even though it's only 24gb.

Windows 8 came pre installed on the laptop so dont have it stored anywhere.

Can anyone help me with where to start?

I have searched google and haven't found anything with my specific needs. I'm only moderately computer savvy so help would be appreciated :)

leeshor

I assume the laptop has 2 internal drives, one a hard disk and the other an SSD. If the HDD has less space used than the SSD size it can be done using some cloning software. If you can't do that your only option would be to change the boot order and do a fresh install to the SSD.

TPadden

I have a laptop with 24gb ssd and windows 8.1 booting from hdd. .......Can anyone help me with where to start?

I have searched google and haven't found anything with my specific needs. I'm only moderately computer savvy so help would be appreciated :)
Don't take this in the wrong way, but you don't mention the make and model of your laptop. There are forums for most computer manufacturers and models; that's where I'd start.

OP
spinachpie

spinachpie

Yeah you're right - that would involve me signing up to yet another site - and generally I find the information on here very helpful, so wanted to see what others thought.

Anyway, have now managed to do it. Installed Windows boot file on USB and went from there :)

Just need to figure out how to delete the old boot location and done!

TPadden

Yeah you're right - that would involve me signing up to yet another site - and generally I find the information on here very helpful, so wanted to see what others thought.

Anyway, have now managed to do it. Installed Windows boot file on USB and went from there :)

Just need to figure out how to delete the old boot location and done!

GREAT, I'd probably start shopping for at least a 120GB SSD, prices are getting very reasonable. Samsung 840 EVO in the $80-90 range.