What's new

Installing Apps No Longer on the Windows Store

Jody Thornton

Hey folks! I reset my RT tablet because of perceived Windows Store issues (turns out my installation was fine, and I should have left well enough alone). Anyway, I went to the Windows Store to reinstall my apps. One app I wanted to reinstall was Bing Wikipedia Browser. But in the last two weeks, the app has been removed from the Store. Now, I understand that if I can obtain the AppX package files, I can use Powershell to install the app.

Does anyone know how I might possibly be able to obtain the app, without its being on the Windows Store?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No idea where you would get it however, maybe it's still available via your installed app library.
In the Store look in your account for apps you own. IDK if it will be there or not, just a shot in the dark.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was going from memory but I just looked (although there may be differences in the options based on device/store versions). Under "My Library" in the Store I have, All Owned, Installed, etc. selections. Under "All Owned" I see some old apps (I was able to install an old version of one that a search only shows the new version). This is using the same old Microsoft Account.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got out my RT, the Store is definitely different with this device but it does list "Apps not installed on this PC" It lists an OLD App from 2013... However … When I try to install that it says it's no longer available... So some apps that have been removed from the store cannot be installed, I could not tell until I tried to install it. That is the trouble with this *new* online era ... They can take away stuff you "own", I don't like that one bit

OP
J

Jody Thornton

I was going from memory but I just looked (although there may be differences in the options based on device/store versions). Under "My Library" in the Store I have, All Owned, Installed, etc. selections. Under "All Owned" I see some old apps (I was able to install an old version of one that a search only shows the new version). This is using the same old Microsoft Account.

I just attempted this. I was able to find the Bing Wikipedia Browser in my apps list. I attempted to install it, but it's no longer available from the store.

I recently purchase this tablet used for $60 (I figured there was nothing to lose), but now I'm starting to question my decision.