What's new

Installing Windows 8.0 on Surface Pro 2 Tablet

landmissle

Hi all,

I know, I know it sounds weird, but I would like to find out if it's possible to install Windows 8.0 on a Surface Pro 2 tablet. Why? Well because this is for an enterprise environment where we are constrained by certain issues. Some of these issues are supported applications, security configuration tools, and NIST certification and guilds.

What we have found is that Windows 8 meets 99% of the items we need covered. Windows 8.1 is more in the 65% realm.

The tablet will be going out to a very VIP for our enterprise so it's important that we satisfy is request, but we need to balance that against support and security issues also.

Beyond being "possible" to install Windows 8 on a Surface Pro 2, would it be a supported configuration via Microsoft. I know, stop laughing....

shazada

In your case I'd just take the surface pro 1 if that's the main reason.

Or let someone create a windows image and restore it on your surface pro 2.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

oion

I'm inclined to agree that SPRo1 would be the easiest route to retain the "legacy" Win8 setup, though I doubt an image from an SPro1 would work on an SPro2 when the internals are a bit different. If the battery life, kickstand, CPU, and whatever else about SPro2 is important, I think it will be possible to install vanilla Win8 on the SPro2 and make sure everything is working because MS allows users to download the Surface Pro 1 firmware and drivers separately. Assuming MS follows this pattern, SPro2 will also have its own firmware and drivers pack (I sure hope so!), so you could install Win8 yourself and then the firmware/drivers. Theoretically. Unfortunately I suspect calling tech support about that won't give any solid answers, so besides firmware, it's still possible to find the drivers for separate things if you put the time in (e.g. the improved Wacom driver, new network adapter driver--found on these forums for SPro1). Then disable auto updates, natch.

As for tech support, though, I don't know. But 8.1 is a service pack or sorts, not a full-on different OS (I don't expect them to support Win7 on a Surface, for example--but the hardware warranty is different). If your company has access to an MS rep, you could ask them.

drolem

It should be possible to install Win 8 on Pro 2, but it will be a hassle, and because of some subtle differences between the two, you may run into issues. In addition, unless you turn off windowsupdate, it will just yupdate it to 8.1. ;)
Lastly,MS is not going to support that configuration, that's for sure.

Since 8.1 can be thought as 8 with a service pack, you can use the Pro 2s as is, or just get a v1 pro, although even with that, you need to watch out for windowsupdate.

LinkRS

Hi all,

I know, I know it sounds weird, but I would like to find out if it's possible to install Windows 8.0 on a Surface Pro 2 tablet. Why? Well because this is for an enterprise environment where we are constrained by certain issues. Some of these issues are supported applications, security configuration tools, and NIST certification and guilds.

What we have found is that Windows 8 meets 99% of the items we need covered. Windows 8.1 is more in the 65% realm.

The tablet will be going out to a very VIP for our enterprise so it's important that we satisfy is request, but we need to balance that against support and security issues also.

Beyond being "possible" to install Windows 8 on a Surface Pro 2, would it be a supported configuration via Microsoft. I know, stop laughing....

Speaking from historical perspective, if Microsoft follows the typical pattern, the Surface Pro 2 will not officially support Windows 8 (Pro). However, technically speaking it "should" work as long as there are drivers available. I am curious though, as to why Windows 8 meets 99% and Windows 8.1 only 65%, are the two OS's that different? I was under the impression that Windows 8.1 isn't much more than a packaged service pack, and not significantly different from 8? Thanks!

Rich S.

OP
L

landmissle

I am curious though, as to why Windows 8 meets 99% and Windows 8.1 only 65%, are the two OS's that different? I was under the impression that Windows 8.1 isn't much more than a packaged service pack, and not significantly different from 8? Thanks!

Rich S.

There are several issues that make Windows 8.0 "99%" ready vs. Windows 8.1 being "65%" ready. They include

FIPS 14-2 Full Disk Encryption Certification. Windows 8.0 has just recently been certified, Windows 8.1 is at least 10 months out.

We use a third party email encryption application that currently supports Windows 8.0. Windows 8.1 is not supported and there is no ETA for that support

Ditto from above for VPN client we use

The security configuration benchmark for Windows 8.0 that MS provides is not supported under the Windows 8.1. Nor are the GPOs sourced from that benchmark (the do work however).

The above are the biggest issues and as I mentioned, really revolve around support issues.

apoc_reg

I did have a couple of issues with the 8.1 preview that does make me a little nervous.

From an entertainment prospective slingbox doesn't work, you have to fiddle around with f12 developer settings in ie11 each time, and netflix html is lacking some features compared to the older browser.

For work our juniper networks vpn/remote desktop didn't work with any browser, not just ie11.

Really hoping they will be fixed for RTM but nervous!

DunnElden

You are talking about true Windows 8 running on a device with ARM. That's not going to happen.
If that was that easy Microsoft would not be doing this jump to the unknown with Windows 8 and do this major rework.

oion

You are talking about true Windows 8 running on a device with ARM. That's not going to happen.
If that was that easy Microsoft would not be doing this jump to the unknown with Windows 8 and do this major rework.
? :confused: ?

Nowhere was the Surface RT/Surface 2 (Windows RT) line of devices mentioned in this thread. Not sure who you're responding to.