What's new

Installing Windows 8.1 RT on Surface RT

OP
Omni

Omni

Knowing how I love to flash custom roms and kernels on my android device, im very tempted to try this on my new RT. but I think I will hold off for official windows store update. don't want to risk messing up the new 64b RT I bought for my woman. got it on ebay for only $249.

on the flipside, I do need to learn how to do this though. I like stuff like this.

based on the feedback, 8.1 for RT sounds like a winner breathing new life into the device. this device still has a look and feel that makes it seem like it was just released. amazing how MS created a product as sleek and light as this RT. RT and PRO has best design of any tablet IMO. very high end look and feel. plus feels solid.

although im typing this from my pro, I feel like going in the back to get my womans RT and play with it. it really is a nice device. battery life to me, is good already. then im hearing it only gets better with new windows version.

You would not regret it. I find myself pulling out old devices to install the latest version of Windows a lot. Even if I don't use them :). Bit of a challenge I guess.

machistmo

its the Release to Manufacturing so its basically final. Omni is correct. They might put some lipstick on the pig and do its hair a little, but its the same Swine being released in October. Unless of course that isn't the case and Microsoft finds some huge problem and then its a whole new ballgame! Just kidding. Omni is correct.

machistmo

I couldn't resist, I installed Windows RT 8.1 RTM today, and so far its amazing! 2 hours on connected standby and it hasn't even dropped 1% in battery, and that's awesome!(unless the battery indicator is faulty :D)

Turn off Bluetooth?

FFX

Turn off Bluetooth?

Nope, this was with Bluetooth on. I Tried turning Bluetooth off for an hour, just now. And it still affects the battery and connected standby negatively. Same driver error in the sleep study file, so leaving Bluetooth ON is still the way to go!

machistmo

Nope, this was with Bluetooth on. I Tried turning Bluetooth off for an hour, just now. And it still affects the battery and connected standby negatively. Same driver error in the sleep study file, so leaving Bluetooth ON is still the way to go!

Bummer. I have to say I hope they find the right color lipstick and fix this Pig before release.

RH5

I lost another 10% over 5 hours on 8.1!!!!! Wi-Fi & bluetooth on, no apps open, screen brightness less than half!!! What am I doing wrong? FXX how you only lose 2% ????

Edit: another 2 hours past and 6% lost. Windows 8.1 RTM, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth on, no apps opens, screen brightness less than half, latest windows updates, all apps updated

Last edited:

FFX

Just came home, my surface has been in standby for 8 hours lost 3%. You do know that when in standby the screen is off and I don't use the device?

RH5

Just came home, my surface has been in standby for 8 hours lost 3%. You do know that when in standby the screen is off and I don't use the device?

I just lost another 9% the past 3 hours. Windows 8.1 RTM installed. Bluetooth & Wi-Fi on, brightness less than half, windows updates done, app updates done, nothing open in task manager so all apps closed, only have 1 live tile which is an email. put it in standby by closing it with the touch cover. What am I doing wrong? And obviously I know standby is when the screen is off and not being used!!!

Edit: BTW does the light on the charger turn off when it's done charging like a Mac? I let the battery drain for the first time and it's been 4 hours and the light is still on, should I just turn on the RT and see if it's 100%?

Last edited:
OP
Omni

Omni

I just lost another 9% the past 3 hours. Windows 8.1 RTM installed. Bluetooth & Wi-Fi on, brightness less than half, windows updates done, app updates done, nothing open in task manager so all apps closed, only have 1 live tile which is an email. put it in standby by closing it with the touch cover. What am I doing wrong? And obviously I know standby is when the screen is off and not being used!!!

Edit: BTW does the light on the charger turn off when it's done charging like a Mac? I let the battery drain for the first time and it's been 4 hours and the light is still on, should I just turn on the RT and see if it's 100%?

The light stays on all the time even when the battery in full. Mine takes around two hours to full charge when I least looked.

I wouldn't worry about your surface battery. Mine goes down at about the rate yours does. Every battery has a different life span and some are better than others. Try shutting down instead on standby.

FFX

The touch cover can be your problem. I have experienced extra drain when leaving my device in connected standby, with the type cover attached. Try removing it, and push the off button to put it in standby. (on the top bezel, to the right)